Contribute
Register

Firewire port not functional

Status
Not open for further replies.
aye keep me posted, I've got a second identical UD2 box to this one (other than CPU) round at a mates house which is due back next weekend, if I can get him to bring it back in next couple of days instead then I'll try hooking the two of those together via firewire and post the results/screenshots

at mo its 50:50 -

A could be an issue with UD2 SL box being unable to enumerate other macs via firewire and only able to handle other devices like camcorders etc (while the Leopard box can manage one stage further and can handle other macs too)

or B could be the Leopard box cant enumerate itself to other macs properly.

if you have access to a firewire based camcorder might want to try hooking one of those up to each in turn see if each has that level of functionality

Well, I think I have come to a final conclusion about this firewire problem. My Leopard firewire port is based on the Via VT 6307 chip that is built in to the motherboard. From my research I have found that nobody has been able to get this chip working in OSX. I have decided that this is a dead end now. My only solution now is to get a Gigabit router for networking as nobody is really supporting the Firewire networking function anymore. MS has stopped support for Firewire in Windows 7 and Apple is not putting much effort into Firewire either other than providing support for connecting devices to a Mac.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Anybody else still having issues with firewire?
I have z68xp ud3, lion 10.7.3 , and my external HD previously used from a macmini isn't showing up anywhere. The only place i can find it is under SYS INFO - HARDWARE OVERVIEW - FIREWIRE (Seagate shows). It doesn't show under FINDER or DESKTOP. pls. advise.

I have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 running F10 BIOS and DSDT and have similar problem where my Firewire 400 is shown in System Information as Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec, but my peripherals are never recognized.

Resolved by adding PCIe FireWire 800 card using TI Chipset.

I have the Gigabyte P55M-UD2 and before I turned it into a Hackintosh I always had problems with the firewire and it always showed up as an error in windows but functioned
My first attempt at installing Snow Leopard failed because of that firewire port error so I went into the bios and disabled it and use 2 pci firewire cards that I installed.

I don't know if this helps anyone but I'm thinking it's a flaw in the MB design

It's probably not the sole cause, but I just had my Firewire disappear after a reboot - to the point where it wasn't recognized by Profiler and occasionally caused kernel panics on booting again. It passed POST but was not seen by the OS.

I shut the machine down, unplugged it and reset the CMOS parameters. Powered up, initialized the BIOS settings correctly, and Firewire was back and functional.

Worth a try before buying additional hardware.

I actually changed Motherboard with same model, and also reset CMOS. I actually pulled the battery for over an hour, just to male sure the CMOS was not a factor.

Still the MB port shows up in the OS, but does not recognize my ext. storage.

However, I have no issues with two different TI Chipset PCIe FW800 cards.

See my build for details:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=61902

Well, I'm going to be building a Hack with one of these boards soon, so I'll get a chance to work through this myself! I will definitely be buying a TI-based FW card as a backup though.

I have a Syba FW800/400 PCI card. Despite saying Unknown Device in System Profiler, it seems to work fine when I transfer photos from my CF card via a FW800 card reader (there was one small hiccup during an 8GB transfer that lasted about 5-7 seconds (total transfer time was ~3 minutes)). However, kernel.log shows that the bus is resetting a lot - like, 50-140 times every log entry, with one new entry every 3-8 minutes. I wonder if this would have a negative effect on recording audio via a FW audio interface, which I haven't tried since my crappy audio interface won't work with Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back