Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2048 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone have a functioning firewire port? Any solutions to help out?

I am using the Gigabyte P55M uD2 mb with a Core i5 cpu. Perfect install other than no firewire. System Profiler states "Unknown Device" under Firewire.

I am aware that there are reports everywhere that SL has issues with firewire but it would be nice to know if everyone using this board or similar is having the same problem.

Thanks Tony for your hard work in making SL work as you have.

My mobo doesn't have built in firewire, I'm using PCI cards but I have to boot into 32 bit mode in order to get them to work. I don't know if your mobo would require the same or not.

have 2 UD2 builds here (one i5-750 and the other using i7-860) and can confirm that neither have had any firewire issues. Nothing fancy applied - tonys ud2 boot cd, retail snow leopard install, followed his guide for adding kexts etc then finished off with combo 10.6.2 update

Identified on both straight off the bat, running 64-bit kernel (Im currently on F8 bios but they were recognised at time of initial install with F6 bios)

Been quite hapily pulling full hour of video at a time off of our XHA1s via the front firewire port on our gigabyte tower cases without incident ever since

No problems here. i hooked up my Cable DVR up to my Hackintosh and pulled off a few recorded programs via firewire with no problem.

Blog said:
Anyone have a functioning firewire port? Any solutions to help out?

I am using the Gigabyte P55M uD2 mb with a Core i5 cpu. Perfect install other than no firewire. System Profiler states "Unknown Device" under Firewire.

I am aware that there are reports everywhere that SL has issues with firewire but it would be nice to know if everyone using this board or similar is having the same problem.

Thanks Tony for your hard work in making SL work as you have.

My firewire works great with the UD2- are you on the latest bios version? And compare the files you're using with the ones in my signature under MY EFI. ;)

I have done a lot of research concerning this Firewire problem. Apparently others with the same or similar boards have the same problem while others don't.

I have updated my Bios to F8 (latest for my board). I have tried Tony's EFI files in my installation but they don't help. Had to revert back to my own due to other issues arising because of differences in his install compared to mine (even though we have the same hardware except video).

Not sure what is happening. I am trying to connect both my Hackintosh's together via firewire cable to transfer files (10/100 LAN is kind of slow. Maybe time to go 1000). My other Hackintosh is running Leopard 10.5.6 and all is well with its firewire port.

I have provided a screen capture of my Firewire portion of System Profiler on my SL machine. It appears to be functional but doesn't connect when I connect the cable. Screen captures of the other 10.5.6 Hackintosh is also provided showing it is connected.

I am wondering if anyone knows where in the DSDT the firewire information is?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    66 KB · Views: 335
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Firewire.jpg
    Firewire.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 375
It's not meant to show up as unknown, I think you're going to have to re-install mate.
I've done multiple installs on several systems using different hardware and never had that problem. I've even installed a FireWire 800 card in a mates machine no problem.

I'm curious about the order..

Isn't the Leopard box showing a firewire bus connection to a macintosh (ie the SL machine)

whereas the SL machine is showing a connection to an unknown device?

I ask cos on my machine with the firewire port not connected to anything, theres no device tree for firewire, theres just a single right hand pane that shows

nofirewireattached.jpg

with the Leopard box disconnected from the SL machine, what does the SL system profiler have for its firewire entry?

with a camcorder attached via firewire my SL boxes show:

firewire.jpg

ie a working properly enumerated device is hanging off of them rather than an unknown device (the Leopard box)

only reason i ask is I'd need to qualify my previous 'fire wire is working fine on my UD2 boxes' statement - I only hooked firewire on it to our camcorders (which it works just fine with) but have never tried to use it as a network connection to another mac.

So it may be my UD2 firewire port is no more functional than yours (or perhaps it could be the problem is on the Leopard box not the SL one?)

After dealing with all the same issues related in this thread I've come to the conclusion the firewire function or not function issue has two possible causes:

1. 32 bit vs 64 bit compatibility
My PCI firewire cards work fine if I boot into 32 bit mode. Booting into 64 bit mode causes them to vanish completely. Try booting in both modes before digging into kext files and software installations.

2. Firewire software and drivers from the Apple SDK
At one point the only thing required to get my cards working again was to reinstall the "latest" labeled firewire package contained within the SDK folders.

Some chips just aren't compatible at all, some are only going to work in
32 bit mode and some work perfect. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a simple, one size fits all solution.

Thanks again for the assistance. I have narrowed things down to the more likely possibility that the leopard 10.5.6 machine is the culprit that is not working properly.

Re: Neoshell

I have tried booting into 32bit mode but no difference.

Re: Snorkelman

You are very observant. When I disconnect the Leopard from the SL machine the SL machines Firewire reads exactly like you say.

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Although the Leopard shows the same when disconnected.
This leads me to the conclusion that the SL machine is reading an unknown device on the Firewire cable indicating that the Leopard is not fully functional. The Leopard machine is reading a Mac in the Firewire cable that is fully functional thus the reason it is connecting. I now need to figure out why the Leopard is not fully functional.

I will keep you posted as I try to come to a conclusion that resolves the issue and to make sure it is the Leopard that is the problem. As far as I can figure I believe our SL Firewire machines are functioning properly. Hopefully this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back