CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a ga-z77x-ud5h with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP audio interface running on the onboard FW port.

I am currently running the latest release of Sierra (can’t go higher until I get a new graphics card). Prior to Sierra, I could turn the audio interface on and off whenever and the system would recognize it. Since upgrading to Sierra, the interface will only work if it’s turned on during boot. If it’s on and working prior to boot, if I turn it off and back on again, it will not be recognized until I boot again with it on.

Something is not working to detect a newly connected FW device after I have already booted. I did update BIOS around when I updated to Sierra so maybe that had something to do with it but I am leaning more towards a kext/clover/operating system issue.

Anybody ever seen this FireWire issue before or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I am experiencing the same issue, and it started for me when i updated to High Sierra i think. It's exactly like you said, if the firewire device is not plugged in and on pre-boot, it will not be recognized if it's plugged in after you're in the OS. So far, i have no idea what to do about this, but i also have found that this is directly related to the IOaudio in that when i try to have a facetime using my firewire audio interface, the call will ring once, and then facetime will error out. It really really sucks. I'd also love to have a fix to this, even though it's not imperative as the issue with facetime is resolved if i use my monitor's speakers, but i'd like a more workable fix to this still.

@jumpa23 I actually was able to find a solution that for the most part has resolved the issue. I played around with the settings when you're on the Clover bootloader screen. I saw that all the stuff in the DropOEM_DSM menu was checked/true. I unchecked firewire and it fixed it. To permanently make the change I edited the config.plist file. Here's the wiki entry for more info on that and the code I used.

XML:
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<dict>
    <key>Firewire</key>
    <false/>
</dict>

Prior to Sierra, if I woke my Hackintosh from sleep and had left the FW interface on, I would get a kernel panic. I can now wake from sleep and don't get any kernel panics. Not sure if that problem was fixed by Sierra or if the script I used to install Clover/Sierra did something different than before.

That fixed it for me brotha. I was actually experimenting with Drop OEM, but a lot of the info I was finding was not very direct about what that function really means or does. Your post gave me the balls to permanently edit it into the config plist and everything is working great on that end. Thanks for the solution.

Works !! Same good experience with 2 firewire devices plugged !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back