Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 TH LGA1151
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
To make a long story short:
Long long time ago I started an upgrade from my El Capitan to Sierra. It didn't quite work. The "Boot Install from HD" Option in Clover ended in an crossed circle. As El Capitan still worked I didn't care that much and thought "I'll finish, when I have more time..."
Fast forward four (five?) years. Some days ago I realized that I have to finally take my hackintosh from El Capitan to present day. But finish the still unfinished install first.

I managed to get Clover, kexts and drivers up to date.

But the install still ends in the dreaded crossed circle. My biggest problem is, that I simply dont understand the verbose-mode outputs. And they change slightly from try to try. I attached them for reference.

I already tried - amongst other - such things as additionally installing EmuVariableUefi driver, aswell as activating USB Ownership and USB Injection in Clover Options.

Can anyone decipher the output I get before the install stalls? It would be highly appreciated!

Additional info to my hardware:
It's a dual boot with Windows on a separate SSD, while MacOS resides on a Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVME.

Attachments

• IMG_5261.JPG
    IMG_5261.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5262.JPG
    IMG_5262.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5263.JPG
    IMG_5263.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5264.JPG
    IMG_5264.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
But the install still ends in the dreaded crossed circle
Dreaded ?

No need to dread it. Use the forum Search tool and solve it.

Look for 'prohibitory symbol' or 'still waiting for root device'.

That was fast. :)

I'm not quite sure if I follow. My understanding was, that the error causing the install to stop can somewhat be derived from the verbose output.

But I'll try as you hinted right now.

Dreaded ?

No need to dread it. Use the forum Search tool and solve it.

Look for 'prohibitory symbol' or 'still waiting for root device'.

Ok. Found your answer here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...vice-and-prohibitory-sign.259951/post-1806173

But I'm not installing from a USB device (and I don't get a message saying 'still waiting for root device'). I simply downloaded the Sierra installer from App Store (back then) and started the upgrade.

I can't make the connection between the USB device and my install. o_O

I can't make the connection between the USB device and my install
The principle is the same.
If booting from USB it usually relates to the USB controller.
When booting from SATA it is usually a SATA controller issue.

But my installation is on a nvme. What does Sata or USB got to do with it?
Or is it a NVME controller issue then? I allready added the IONVMeFamily patches. Is there more to do?

But my installation is on a nvme.
Then you may need to use a third party nvme kext or patches.
Also it may be that your nvme shares lanes with SATA and you may need to reconfigure, check your manual.

Is there more to do?
This is old kit and there are several guides available, again use the forum Search tool for info.

I used HackrNVMeFamily with my El Capitan. It dawns on me, that I probably need a new Hackr kext for 10.12

I found this Guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

But HELL... :crazy: It looks like I could never wrap my head around THAT.

I think I remember that I simply downloaded the Hackr kext for 10.11 - is this somehow possible with 10.12 also?

When using a NVME drive some motherboards will deactivate or bypass some of the SATA ports. NVME drives were a fairly new item during the El Capitan and Sierra software release dates. Follow guides for Sierra for fixing NVME issues, use Search tool and word it differently to see if more come up. We normally run NVME drives in AHCI mode which is SATA based drivers and so NVME compatibility is important and is related to SATA configuration and fixes.

USB is an important part of the system even if you’re not using it for the install. You can see from the last image that the USBHost is being triggered for your WiFi and or Bluetooth device. If USB is not set up correctly it can affect many things including boot. Sleep, Bluetooth, WiFi, audio devices, external drives can all be related to or dependent on USB power. Do you have USBInjectall.kext? That’s a god place to start.

Ok. What I did so far:
I have no clue what to do next...

All I got is the 'prohibitory symbol'...

Is there any clue in that last screen?

The mentioned caches puzzle me. Is it possible, that some cache interferes with my attempts to get the system working? I read about the Clover option to boot w/o caches. But I can't find anything in my Clover Boot Screen.

Just in case i was not precise: El Capitan is working with my M.2

Attachments

• IMG_5272.JPG
    IMG_5272.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back