Contribute
Register

Finished! PowerHack i5 7600K GTX 1060 6GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build, I am currently in the middle of slowly putting together my G5 build. I am going to use a GTX 1070 so I guess I'm going to have the same issue with the air baffle as yourself and I have been looking to find a solution.
How close is the GPU to the air baffle? I have found a evga Powerlink which looks like it may resolve the issue? Do you think it could work?

Thanks! That EVGA Powerlink looks really cool and I am sure that most G5 Hackintoshers would love to have that and use the air baffle at the same time (including myself).

Now, I did find a dimensions sheet on twitter for this Powerlink, and it says that from the connector, it sticks out another 2cm. However, as I remember it, the air baffle was almost against the stock graphics card from the beginning, which is just as wide as todays graphics cards. This means not even the power connector would fit in between, let alone the Powerlink. I think the only solution would be to open up the graphics card (thus voiding any warranty you may have) and re-routing the wires to connect on the back (well left) side of the graphics card instead. I did see someone do it, but I can't remember where right now.

I don't have access to my G5 in until a week, but judging from my memories and all the pictures online, this would be the case. I will update you IF I find out something different when I have access to my G5 again, but I don't think so sadly.

If you happen to find another way to solve this problem, please tell me since that would be very interesting to do for me as well. Having the air baffle on is the cherry on the cake! :D

EDIT: I will also by the time of access check if a "normal" 90 degree PCIe cable adapter would fit or not. According to google images they all seem to be smaller than the Powerlink. :)

Last edited:
How close is the GPU to the air baffle? I have found a evga Powerlink which looks like it may resolve the issue? Do you think it could work?

I have now checked with my G5. Sorry for late reply. The normal power connector with it's cables makes it very tight, but if you squeeze them down a bit and apply a bit of force when closing the air baffle, it works. This is not a good method, but good news, since that means an 90 degree adapter should do the trick! (power link probably too big still)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back