Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ever since I saw the G5 and Mac Pro tower design, I really wanted to have one. Unfortunately, A good Mac Pro is still very expensive so I decided to build my own using a PowerMac G5 case.

Parts that I plan on using:
  • PSU: Corsair SF450 450W (As it has a small form factor which might let me use it in the bottom of the case by just rising the bottom shelf a little bit)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K 3.8GHz 6MB
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming
  • RAM: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Ballistix Sport
  • Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (M.2 drive)
  • Mobo: MSi Z270M Mortar (mATX board with USB-C)
  • WiFi/Bluetooth: A genuine apple WiFi/Bluetooth card I found on Amazon. (For compatibility with airdrop, iMessage, Handoff and so on.
  • Fans: Noctua Redux fans, most likely 2x120mm and 1x80mm
  • CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (If it fits)
  • TheLaserHive G5 mATX 120, Grill, and a Front Panel Conversion kit with USB-C
  • Extension Cord for the power supply
  • Maybe a DVD/CD Drive (My G5 didn't have one)
The Plan:

uc

My plan is to keep the internal layout mostly the same as the original. I also want to be able to use the plastic air cover again.
I made this layout sketch in Keynote. :)

Building the G5 Hackintosh:

uc

My PowerMac G5 didn't come with a DVD/CD Drive, was missing some fans and had some weird ram installed. I wouldn't be using the fans anyways, but it would have been nice to use the original DVD/CD Drive.

uc

Stripping the case was not easy and took several hours to do. The hardest part was to get the top shelf out. It turned out I missed a screw that held it in place. If you are going to do this yourself, be sure that all screws are loose. :p

uc

uc

While waiting for my economy to allow more parts, I talked to a friend who owns a 3D printer. I designed the plug for the power cord in Fusion 360 and sent the file to him. Some days later, I got the finished product which worked perfectly. Just tell me if you are interested in the file for this and I can send it to you.

uc

When I got all the parts from TheLaserHive, I could finally start cutting the case. I didn't have or want to use a Dremel, so I used a jigsaw instead. I highly recommend it, it worked really well! Just be sure to use a blade that's made for metal.

uc

As I wanted to use a front panel kit with USB-C, I had to cut the front as well. I didn't want to do this at first, but the functionality was more important to me.

uc

Here is a pic of the special front panel with USB-C. I believe TheLaserHive might have some left if you ask. You can probably contact him easiest via email or facebook. This panel also has HDMI. I'm not sure how I will do about that since the cable behind is just a regular HDMI cable...

uc

Installing the motherboard tray was easy, but getting it lined up correctly was a bit harder. I suggest you to leave the screws untightened, put the motherboard where it is supposed to be, and then lift it out to tighten the screws. Be sure that all expansion cards fit as expected.

uc

I got my motherboard in place just to see how it looks from the back. I think it looks really cool! The expansion card with the red dots is the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi card without its antennas.

This is where I am right now! I will continue updating here when I get the money needed to buy the parts I want. I would love to hear your thought or questions and I will do my best to answer them all! Thanks!

Great start!
That power plug is very cool. I wish I had seen this before I started on mine. Maybe the next one.

Great start!
That power plug is very cool. I wish I had seen this before I started on mine. Maybe the next one.
Thanks! I was actually looking at your thread just before posting this one to get some more inspiration.
I got a small update, I just found out today that the front panel with usb-c has a special usb 3.1 gen 2 connector for the motherboard, but as that is so new, my mobo only has the 3.1 gen 1 (20 pin) connectors. Do you think there might be any adapters for that? I couldn't find any when I was looking around on the internet...
Thanks for reading, I'll make sure to post more updates here whenever I have any.

Mine has the 4 usb 3's. I am afraid I don't know much about adapters for USBc

Update!

I just got myself my Corsair 450W power supply, sleeved cables, Noctua fans, and Cooler Master CPU cooler.

Here's some pictures of my progress so far. Updates will follow!

uc

I had to make myself something for the bottom plate/shelf to rest on and to mount it on since I wasn't going to use the original power supply. I just made myself two strips of aluminium that I bent to shape. I then drilled 3mm holes for the original screws to screw themselves into. No need for tapping since aluminium is so soft, the screws will make their own threads!

uc

I then cut the original bottom shelf for the power supply fan. I wanted it to be round at first but couldn't get it to work. After a long time, I decided that this was good enough since it won't be visible when I'm done anyways (planning on using the original G5 covers up front). At least this solution works even if it isn't pretty.

uc

Since I want my cable management to look good, I cut a piece of aluminium sheet to use as a cover to the left of the motherboard. I was now ready for the sleeved cables I ordered.

uc

The sleeved cables aren't that visible, but where they are, they look good! Since the original cables from the power supply wasn't long enough, I had to buy these cables anyways. No waste here! Good looking was a nice bonus!

I also mounted the bottom part of the CPU cooler to the motherboard so I don't have to take the board out again when I get my CPU. This way, I could connect all of my new cables right away.

Now to a very important question!
I bought the USB-C front panel from the laser hive as seen above, and it came with a internal USB 3.1 gen 2 connector attached to it. Since I didn't get a motherboard with that connector, is it possible to find a PCIe card with that internal connector on? I would not be able to use the front USB-C if I can't find anything like it. Thanks in advance!!

That's it for now! I'll keep posting when I have something to show! Please ask questions if you have any! I'd love to hear what you all think! :D

Update!

I just got my RAM since the company I bought it from had sale on it.
I also managed to fit the middle shelf where it is supposed to be, and with that, a 80mm Noctua fan.

Images!
uc

The ram is the Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB.

uc

The shelf is hold on by it's original "arm" stocking up on the left side. I then made a small aluminium angle piece to mount it on the right side. It actually feels surprisingly sturdy! I had to cut the back part of the shelf to be able to fit the ram and the rest of the motherboard. It's not going to be visible when the graphics card is installed anyways.

uc

The air deflector fit's nicely with the shelf in it's original position!

uc

The Noctua fan is held in place by a small piece of aluminium that I made. It is bent over so that it can slide in and out just as the original fan assembly. I didn't get the front fan assemblies with my G5, so this is just what I have to do. Otherwise, I would have reused them, but with the Noctua fan instead.

Here are some more images of the build. I guess these will look the same as the finished product:

uc

uc

I wish I could get rid of those antennas at the back but they fill their function. I hope I will be able to buy the CPU and SSD very soon. Graphics card will be purchased later on. :)

Also, take a look at the question I posted in my previous post! Thanks! :D

Update!

It's basically finished at this point! Hardware-wise, it is only missing the HDD which I will use as a backup drive.
Here follows some images of the process:

uc

I installed the SSD in the M.2 slot of my MSi motherboard. Easy to install despite the shelf being where it is.

uc

The Intel Core i5 7600K was installed.

uc

The CoolerMaster CPU cooler was fitted after applying the included thermal paste. I could finally start measuring to mount the G5 logos on top of it.

uc

I used some of my aluminium that was left over from earlier to make the support plate for the G5 logos. I had to cut some plastic (ouch) from the back side of the G5 covers to make them fit correctly.

uc

The logos are back in their original position! I think they turned out great. Best of all is that they are easily removable if needed.

uc

When I finally got my Founders Edition Nvidia GForce GTX 1060 6GB card, I realised that I would not be able to use the air baffle anymore. The 6 pin power connector to the card comes in the way. That's really sad.

uc

Done!

So, what is working and what is not?

By the help of many guides here on the forum, my PowerHack i5 almost works perfectly.
My issues at the moment:
• Sound is working when using the voodoo kext but not in the photos app. I'm working on a solution (thanks Toleda for helping me).
• USB 3.0 sticks are only recognised in 2.0 ports but 2.0 sticks work in the 3.0 ports. I'll need help on this!

Those are my only current issues. Here are some things that I fixed after a lot of trouble:
• Getting the prohibited sign upon boot
• Getting my 2K monitor to work in HiDPI mode (to look like 1080p)
• Getting the integrated graphics to work before I got the Nvidia card
• Getting my Final Cut Pro library to work (told me I didn't have the necessary permissions)

If anyone has any of these problems, don't hesitate to ask me since I've tried a lot of things which might help!

That's it! I'll continue to update here if I solve more of my problems, but the build itself can now be considered finished!

Thanks for reading!

Hi, now that's one nice build, congrats. I had the same problem with my air baffle. What I did is I used a blowtorch and a hammer to bend it in, but, I suggest You get a proper one, where the temperature can be controled or engrave it, if you decide to do it, as mine is not looking too god and I'll habve to cover it up somehow. :p I'll probably end up engrafvng it a litte to even it out and spray paint it to cover the air bubbles and black stains...

Hi, now that's one nice build, congrats. I had the same problem with my air baffle. What I did is I used a blowtorch and a hammer to bend it in, but, I suggest You get a proper one, where the temperature can be controled or engrave it, if you decide to do it, as mine is not looking too god and I'll habve to cover it up somehow. :p I'll probably end up engrafvng it a litte to even it out and spray paint it to cover the air bubbles and black stains...
Thanks man! At first I was thinking to cut out a small hole in it to make space for the GPU cabling, but I later thought that I didn't want to do any damage to it. I think I'll leave it out until I find another one to experiment with for cheap. I have previously tried to bend acrylic, with success, but I've never tried to bend it in. Might be a project for the future! Thanks for reading! :D

Nice build, I am currently in the middle of slowly putting together my G5 build. I am going to use a GTX 1070 so I guess I'm going to have the same issue with the air baffle as yourself and I have been looking to find a solution.
How close is the GPU to the air baffle? I have found a evga Powerlink which looks like it may resolve the issue? Do you think it could work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back