2 X Nvidia Quadro FX5600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all...

I'm in need of some assistance and/or advice regarding a recent modification to my Hackintosh build. I recently swapped out the CPU from an i7 920 to a X5690 on my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard. I've upgraded the bios to suit (f13) and I have successfully installed 10.9 from a UniBeast installer drive I created on my MacBook Pro with little hassle... I've ran MultiBeast, pretty much as I have in the past, except for changing the system definition to 5,1 from 3,1 to suit the CPU better, or so I have read... at this stage I still have the USB Installer from which I'm booting into an 10.9 install on a 160gb 3.5 Hitachi Deskstar Drive with at a minimum -x in the flags dept. In the inital boot I flagged this way -x, -v, -s, -f, - things were a little shaky to say the least...

Anyway...

What I'm after are some tried tested BIOS voltage tweaks for the CPU and RAM...As well as some other stability tweaks for my CPU/Motherboard/GPU setup.

My hopes are to to underclock the CPU down to 3.33GHZ along side triple channel DDR3 ram at either 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz (the latter being the standard spec for what I have currently installed - looking to replace the corsair XMS3 6x2Gb all together with 24Gb of 1333Mhz ECC ram. The ram timing and the CPU are fairly straight forward... Specifically, I guess what I need help with are the custom tweaks to a few things in the extra folder - .aml files plist's etc... and a few other places around the OS that might help to optimise this machine to its fullest... which is partly my aim with this post... along side a few other HW upgrades...

Oh - and I'd like to remove that awful blue pipping around the LGA socket, it gathers dust and adds unnecessary weight to my slab. If anyone has done this.. please let me know how it went...

BTW - Has anyone been using one of those PCIe SSD/RAID 1TB numbers for their primary OS? Other than $2000, whats it take to get one of those things up and running on a board with a micro PCIe??

Anyway Ill stop ranting...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Julian.

Did you manage to get it up and running with 24Gb of 1333Mhz ECC ram? And if yes, what kind of ram was it?

I did some reading and decided to pull the trigger. I have the ga-x58a-ud3r rev2 and upgraded BIOS to FF (was FA) and the x5690 is recognized right away. Clock ratio goes up to 27x. I bought it for $79, works fantastic, replaced an i7 930. Good to read it works before I jumped in. Per gigabytes' website the x5690 is not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back