Contribute
Register

Find which components that are good for update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi!

I built my machine in 2017 and I`m still on Sierra. Want to update to the latest OSX, and got info from another thread that I need to change my GFX because of some drivers.

But is there way to tell if my other components are ok? Any software I can run to verify?

Also; is there a guide in this forum which takes us step by step on how to update?

Hi!

I built my machine in 2017 and I`m still on Sierra. Want to update to the latest OSX, and got info from another thread that I need to change my GFX because of some drivers.

But is there way to tell if my other components are ok? Any software I can run to verify?

Also; is there a guide in this forum which takes us step by step on how to update?

The latest right now is Catalina and the Update Guide is here:

If you want to go all the way to Big Sur (out shortly) you will probably need to boot using OpenCore, not Clover.

We can only see your Motherboard and CPU, besides the GPU you already mention. They look fine. But wifi, memory and storage we don't know about so perhaps check the User Builds forum and the Networks.

Thanks!

That guide is from Mojave to Catalina, I`m on Sierra. Can I just simply follow it anyway?

Memory is Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32GB and the wifi is from Osxwifi.com

But GPU is fine? I was told it needs to be changed...

Thanks!

That guide is from Mojave to Catalina, I`m on Sierra. Can I just simply follow it anyway?

Memory is Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32GB and the wifi is from Osxwifi.com

But GPU is fine? I was told it needs to be changed...
Your graphics card is not supported in MacOS Mojave / Catalina. If you want to install Catalina, remove your graphics card and (1) use the CPU integrated graphics, or (2) replace it with a supported graphics card like the RX 570.

OK, thanks!

But I can use the guide from UtterDisbelief even though I`m going from Sierra to Catalina?

I can still use the same guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back