Contribute
Register

Finally Happy With My G4 Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There, Do you have a work log? I am about to mod my own cube and am very interested in how you did yours. Great Work!

Is a worklog one of those things I see all the time with people's pictures midway through the adventure? If so, sorry I did not take pictures during the build. However, I can give you a text based step by step. If you are looking for worklogs with pictures Neilhart, Minihack, Eelhead and 61mg73 all have very good threads on cube modification. I don't think I did anything revolutionary that those guys hadn't done before me. The big thing I am pleased with is the touch power button. This required coordination with Minihack - I did not put the resistor in the line like he did in his guide, but mine is perfectly functional for me. I also had to clip the pins on two of the USB headers in order to get the top plate to attach properly. Also, my heatsink is oriented less than ideally. The fins go horizontal rather than vertical - exactly opposite how you want them in the cube to maximize airflow through the heatsink. I tried rotating the heatsink 90 degrees a couple days ago but it didnt work out so well. I could just barely pop the top back on but then I think the heatsink was so close to the touch sensor that it was lit up from the moment I plugged in the power cord. I sacrificed a little temperature in order to have the touch sensor work and to have it dead silent. Good luck with your cube - don't be afraid to ask people on here for suggestion/help as everyone is eager to help out.

I'm 90% done with mine and like so many others haven't done all that much different than anybody else lol.
Like you said nothing revolutionary just a simple mod and you can only really do so much, unless your minihack and you can build a Cube from scratch ;)

But I think I can speak for some of the others as the reasoning for pics, Its just cool to see how other people get it done as well is all.

I think I might have to give the speakers a go as well as I have a 27" Cinema Display. I also have the old Sub-woofer I wonder if I can get that working as well lol.

I guess for my Hack Pro, I will take some pics of the process. Not sure how the iSub worked, but the original cube speakers have a USB interface and the the original soundsticks also had a USB interface. If the iSub also has the USB interface it will be tough to get it to work with the little globes. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Minihack, I know these things are a pain to cool, but I just wanted dead silent idling at 30. Is that too much to ask? Apparently it is.

No, it is not.....as that is what I have in my latest Cube case (see top of my sig). :) But there is no point in beating yourself up about it!

I gave my speakers another shot with 10.8.2. Initially I plugged them in and they didn't respond even though they showed up in sound prefs.

I restarted my PC and booted back to desktop and they work! :headbang:

I didn't need to install an older kext version after all. Can you test this too?

Maybe they re added support for them in 10.8.2. I am extremely reluctant to delete the kept to see if they work without it in the newest update. I look at all this stuff like a total crapshoot- sometimes it works sometimes not. Seem people have more luck than others....minihack I'm looking at you mr 29 degree 2500k cube! I almost broke the cube the other day trying to reorient the heatsink to get a few degrees cooler so I am gonna pass on altering the Kexts since it is working nicely. Sorry.

Thank you for your replies. I purchased my motherboard, memory, heatsink, and power supply today. I already have an i3-2120 on hand. I cant wait to get going on it!

Maybe they re added support for them in 10.8.2. I am extremely reluctant to delete the kept to see if they work without it in the newest update. I look at all this stuff like a total crapshoot- sometimes it works sometimes not. Seem people have more luck than others....minihack I'm looking at you mr 29 degree 2500k cube! I almost broke the cube the other day trying to reorient the heatsink to get a few degrees cooler so I am gonna pass on altering the Kexts since it is working nicely. Sorry.

It's not luck. Just black magic. I regularly sacrifice goats just to make these things work. Must be up to 20 by now......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back