Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X - Which Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
New issue - I've been running my R9 280x with no issues in FCPX 10.2.2 and 10.2.3 for the last year. I just updated to 10.3 and the app opens without issue, but as soon as I try to open a library (either an existing one that was updated for 10.3, or a brand new one I created in 10.3) the app crashes instantly. Today I tried removing the graphics card, and that fixed it. FCPX 10.3 runs just fine.

Any thoughts on this?

10.11.4 is minimum spec for FCPX 10.3:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP624?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Got it, thanks. I just took a look and there is so much to look through.
MacOS error: -67062 is the only thing that looks relevant to me, but if you have anything else to suggest looking into I'd appreciate it.

Yes, thanks. I'm on 10.12.1
There are other log files in the console as well. Look on the left hand side.

Simply quoting MacOS error: -67062 is meaningless. You need to post some context. Mac error numbers are often junk and generic.

Rob

I've been planning on building a Hackintosh for a while now, primarily for Final Cut Pro. However, when running Windows 10, I still want to have great gaming performance. So:

1... Is it possible to run an AMD GPU with Mac OS and a GTX GPU while in windows (obviously independent of each other, but installed at the same time)? I dont wanna have to change my GPU every time I pull up a game. I want the best performance possible with Final Cut and it has already been established that AMD is the way to go. And, in my opinion at least, NVIDIA is the way to go for gaming.

2... As far as the AMD GPUs go, would I be better off with a XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB for $245 or dual XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB for pretty much the exact same price? Or another set up that is better?

Any and all suggestions are awesome. Here is what I have planned for the build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz (overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooler
Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (possibly and SSD later)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 watt 80+ Gold (depends on dual GPUs)
Case: Fractal Design Define C

I have heard that the mobo I chose works oob with no compatibility issues whatsoever.

Thanks a bunch

I've been planning on building a Hackintosh for a while now, primarily for Final Cut Pro. However, when running Windows 10, I still want to have great gaming performance. So:

1... Is it possible to run an AMD GPU with Mac OS and a GTX GPU while in windows (obviously independent of each other, but installed at the same time)? I dont wanna have to change my GPU every time I pull up a game. I want the best performance possible with Final Cut and it has already been established that AMD is the way to go. And, in my opinion at least, NVIDIA is the way to go for gaming.

2... As far as the AMD GPUs go, would I be better off with a XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB for $245 or dual XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB for pretty much the exact same price? Or another set up that is better?

Any and all suggestions are awesome. Here is what I have planned for the build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz (overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooler
Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (possibly and SSD later)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 watt 80+ Gold (depends on dual GPUs)
Case: Fractal Design Define C

I have heard that the mobo I chose works oob with no compatibility issues whatsoever.

Thanks a bunch

1. Don't mix cards. You don't have the granularity in either Windows nor Mac OS X to choose which graphics card you use. Choose one or the other. I have no problems gaming in BF4 with 280X cards at high res.

2. I don't use the 460 or 480 cards so no idea. You're better asking that question elsewhere.

3. Overclocking is (IMHO) completely pointless and a waste of time. You are adding an extra 12% speed for some of the time when your Mac MAY (or MAY NOT) be running flat out. 99% (or more) of the time your Mac is sitting there waiting for your input. The most effective upgrade you can possibly do is work yourself faster. For the few occasions when you actually run the CPU to the maximum AND on all X cores you will get a slight advantage. However you then have the disadvantage of getting the RAM working, extra cooling, worrying if you are going to lose all your data because you overclocked in the wrong way. It will take you longer to overclock than any saving in time you will gain.

4. No idea on motherboard, I have Gigabyte. If other people have it working then fine.

5. Is your RAM explicitly specified for working in this motherboard and CPU? By explicitly I mean its listed on the manufacturers website and the SKU is the same for every single digit and letter. Never, ever assume your RAM will work unless you check yourself. Do not believe anybody unless you check it yourself (and then check again).

6. Storage is a little light for FCPX. Where's your backups going to be? I'd get the SSD now and save migration.

7. PSU is a little light. I'd get an 850W (or higher) and assume you are going to pair a set of GPU's up. If you don't run dual cards, you have a nice quiet and cool PSU.

8. Cases are boring. Make sure its big to allow to circulate and you have decent large, slow, quiet fans.

9. Dump the overclocking and water cooling and get a decent fan cooler like a Noctura. These are silent and easy to fix and cheaper than water cooling. Watercooling and overclocking just adds time, complexity and risk. If you want to work the system harder, go to bed early, exercise more, eat healthily and spend more time at the computer.

Rob

1. Don't mix cards. You don't have the granularity in either Windows nor Mac OS X to choose which graphics card you use. Choose one or the other. I have no problems gaming in BF4 with 280X cards at high res.

Yeah, that is what I assumed. It will be easier and cheaper to stick with Crossfire or SLI anyway as opposed to trying to mix and match. Yesterday I was doing a little digging on what makes AMD cards generally better then NVIDIA cards with similar specs (not that this is always the case, but usually for Final Cut) and I came across an article about Cuda vs OpenCL. Forgive my lack of knowledge... up until I read this article I had no idea what either of these (Cuda and OpenCL) were or how hardware utilized them differently. Now that I know that Final Cut has no support for Cuda I understand why AMD is generally a better choice. However, the article also states that the newer generations of NVIDIA GPUs have much improved OpenCL performance. I also read somewhere else that the new drivers for NVIDIA cards improve OpenCL performance as well.

I want to be clear that it is my goal to have a PC that performs well, but I am by no means trying to set a new BruceX Benchmark record (the fastest is 12 seconds, I think). I also don't really have a super limited budget because I'm in the military so a few months away from home yields substantial savings. I am willing to buy even a Titan x, though I don't think that is necessary. I am hoping that there are drivers for Pascal series GPUs available for Mac OS soon. Based on what I know thus far, a 980ti is probably my best option right now.

3. Overclocking is (IMHO) completely pointless and a waste of time. You are adding an extra 12% speed for some of the time when your Mac MAY (or MAY NOT) be running flat out. 99% (or more) of the time your Mac is sitting there waiting for your input. The most effective upgrade you can possibly do is work yourself faster. For the few occasions when you actually run the CPU to the maximum AND on all X cores you will get a slight advantage. However you then have the disadvantage of getting the RAM working, extra cooling, worrying if you are going to lose all your data because you overclocked in the wrong way. It will take you longer to overclock than any saving in time you will gain.

As far as overclocking goes, I have never looked at it from this perspective before and it makes so much sense. It's as simple as that, I'm not even considering it anymore. And the only reason I was originally going with a water cooled system was due to the overclock. So there you have it... money saved.

5. Is your RAM explicitly specified for working in this motherboard and CPU? By explicitly I mean its listed on the manufacturers website and the SKU is the same for every single digit and letter. Never, ever assume your RAM will work unless you check yourself. Do not believe anybody unless you check it yourself (and then check again).

Again, pardon my ignorance, I had no idea that the ram mattered as far as explicit compatibility. Thank you for pointing this out, I will definitely look into it.

I'll probably go with a larger PSU just for the sake of future upgrades but I'm not exactly sure how big I'm going to go at this point. Storage is super easy to add and inexpensive at that. I already have a couple SSDs running Windows 10 so probably should go with SSDs for Mac OS, too.

If you want to work the system harder, go to bed early, exercise more, eat healthily and spend more time at the computer.

These here are words of wisdom my friend. Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

Crossfire and/or SLI do not work in OS X. Leave the connectors on for Windows but they will make no difference in OS X.

nVidia cards are getting far better for FCPX. Never used them so can't comment. They may (or may not) be a better option for you if you game a lot.

Rob

Crossfire and/or SLI do not work in OS X. Leave the connectors on for Windows but they will make no difference in OS X.
nVidia cards are getting far better for FCPX. Never used them so can't comment. They may (or may not) be a better option for you if you game a lot.
Rob

Hi Rob do you have Sierra on your hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back