Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X - Which Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my AMD graphics guide in our graphics section:
Note on XFX cards:
Many people are reporting problems with XFX cards, especially HD 7xxx / R9 generation. They're using a custom BIOS which can cause a crash upon booting, which can't be fixed in OS X.
A common solution is either flashing a alternate VBIOS on your card (only do if you can recover form a bad flash!) or using Clover to load a compatible VBIOS dynamically (without flashing).

The XFX cards appear to have issues. You are not the first person to have this problem.

Many 280X cards do work OOTB, you are unlucky enough to choose one of the ones that don't :(

SSD won't change much, thats no surprise as there's virtually no data being moved on or off the disk with the BruceX benchmark. SSD's will work well when you get to big projects though.

Rob
Hi Rob, thanks for your explanation.
I was wondering, now I have a gtx 970 if it would be wise to add another one in the computer.
It works but I would like to be able to edit 4k as I do but with heavy filters like filmconvert pro in real time.
What do you think?
Thanks

Hi All,
my first post here, so bear with me :)

I'm looking to build a hackintosh primarily because of video editing needs (amateur, nothing professional) in FCPX. From what I understand there are major issues of compatibility between the gcards and FCPX. Are any of the recommended cards tested as working with FCPX under OpenCL, that I could just buy and plug-in?

thanks in advance :)

Marcin
Hi! I'm just the same as you! I built a hackintosh to run FCPX also! Im using an i7 6700k and a gtx 950 and everything is running flawless. The 950 gets the job done amazingly and I don't feel like I will need to upgrade for a while. If I were you I would go for the 960 or if you have the cash, 1080 or something more high end. If you aren't going to render 8k video, the 950 works fine for 1080p!! Good luck!

Hi! I'm just the same as you! I built a hackintosh to run FCPX also! Im using an i7 6700k and a gtx 950 and everything is running flawless. The 950 gets the job done amazingly and I don't feel like I will need to upgrade for a while. If I were you I would go for the 960 or if you have the cash, 1080 or something more high end. If you aren't going to render 8k video, the 950 works fine for 1080p!! Good luck!
You think the 960 can handle 4K ?

Hi Rob, thanks for your explanation.
I was wondering, now I have a gtx 970 if it would be wise to add another one in the computer.
It works but I would like to be able to edit 4k as I do but with heavy filters like filmconvert pro in real time.
What do you think?
Thanks

Sorry don't do 4K editing and don't have any nVidia cards so anything I have to say is simply noise.

Rob

From my AMD graphics guide in our graphics section:
Hi Florian.
What do you think?
Thanks

The nVidia cards are good for a lot of things including games but specifically for FCP X, they are pretty poor. Most people don't use FCP X so its not an issue hence the recommendation for nVidia.

Out of the box the 5770 cards are very good with FCP X. Forget the fact they are 5-6 years old, a dual 5770 setup will eat any similarly priced nVidia card with ease. I benchmarked a 5770 vs a GTX660 (?) and the five year old card was twice as fast the 660. All the 5770 cards appears to work out of the box with no flags needed or special work at all. I have used 3 (or possibly four) different 5770 cards and never needed to use any special kexts or boot flags on both real Macs and hacks.

I believe the 270X and the 260X are the rebadged version of the older 6xxx range and 5xxx range. They are a little faster but for all intents and purposes the same. No doubt somebody will correct me.

I would look for any specials on a 280X if you can. Be careful that you get the X version and not the non-X. Also look for 5770's on eBay. They were too slow for Bitcoin mining so often are good value. I wouldn't buy a 7970 or a 280X second hand unless I knew who had had it as its likely to have been hammered into the ground for mining.

If you are dedicated to FCP X then dual 5770 cards could be had for $100 for both of them, e.g. $50 each. They need a 550W upwards PSU as they are quite power hungry, but two of those plus whatever MB combination you can afford will make a very good FCP X editor. Ignore the nutters who will moan and wail about how old the 5770 is, I used 5770's until the end of last year and I was very happy with them.

FCP X also benefits from the i7 chips as they have building video encoding (or something like that). I forget now but you could certainly put together a video system for around £500 which would work very well indeed. It won't be very good at Battlefield 4 but hey, it can make money.

Rob
Hi!
I know this is like a year late, so I'm not sure if you remember
But I was wondering if (barring the price) you thought the dual 5770's would be better than a single 280X?
(Or maybe triple 5770's?)

Many thanks,
-Q

For some circumstances (well only two I can think of), dual 5770's would be better than a 280X.

1. If you have a genuine Mac Pro, dual 5770's would be better in the PCI slots as a 5770 doesn't draw as much current (approx 50%) of a 280X. A Mac Pro has limits on the current draw and a 280X significantly exceeds that draw. There are websites that tell you it is possible doing some clever electrical stuff with alternate PSU's supplying power to the card but I'm simply not technical enough to judge one way or another. Easiest solution is to put 2 x 5770's in.

2. You want to drive more monitors. Two 5770's could be (depending on the card) be able to drive more monitors than a single 280X.

The above logic goes for triple 5770's as well.

Rob

Hi, I use fcpx with 4k video.
I just installed a gtx970 and the gain is minimum.
The R9 280x we tried to instal never worked (XFC brand)
I'm a little disappointed.
I would like to have fcpx work fluidly with a filter or two on in real time.
Maybe I need another gtx970?

PS: I have a ssd sytem and a raid 0 for files, I even tried a ssd for file, doesn't change anything

Nvidia mainly uses OpenGL and CUDA for GPU accelerated workflow. While FCPX only takes advantages of OpenCL, a part where Nvidia don't care and optimize much. It is recommended to use AMD Graphics card for FCPX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back