Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X - Which Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have a Haswell i7 Hackintosh with GTX970.
Should I consider Final Cut Pro(OpenCL) or should I stay with Premiere Pro(CUDA)?

Traditionally Adobe Premiere has been optimized for nVidia cards and FCP X has been optimized for AMD - there is some information available that suggests that a GTX 970 will now work very well for FCP X.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-970-now-at-parity-with-r9-280x-in-fcp-x.184643/

If you are happy using Premiere, then there doesn't seem much need to change, but if you have a reason for trying FCP X then google FCP X trial - it is available as a one month trial product - so you can try before you buy.

hey thanks for your precious information !
i am going to buy an old Acer Aspire 5738 , i am changing the processor with i5 3210 8 GB RAM.
It has Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, i want to use it for FCPX. would it be compatible?

hey thanks for your precious information !
i am going to buy an old Acer Aspire 5738 , i am changing the processor with i5 3210 8 GB RAM.
It has Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, i want to use it for FCPX. would it be compatible?
If this is the laptop you will use: http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-5738-6969/specs/ I really doubt you could upgrade it to that I5 CPU as it is Ivy Bridge. It's also probably soldered on to the motherboard. Even if you could I don't think the performance of FCPX would be adequate to use for serious video editing. Maybe short clips with iMovie.

Should I consider Final Cut Pro(OpenCL) or should I stay with Premiere Pro(CUDA)?
Being a professional editor I would recommend Premiere pro with as much CUDA cores possible with memory bandwidth. But keep in mind that not everything in Premiere is GPU accelerated.

OK, this is a topic that has been done time and time and time again.

I know this is your first post but its a good idea to search the forums before you ask.

A very quick summary is:

1. nVidia cards work but are not that effective.

2. AMD cards work and are very effective. This ranges from the 5770 (old, serviceable and still very quick and very cheap) to the 280X range.

3. The 280X cards are pretty good value for money. Most seem to work OK, though some have issues with which frame buffer you select. I have dual 280X Vapor-X cards and they just work under Clover, however the mini-display ports don't.

4. Crossfire or SLI or whatever its called doesn't make any difference on OS X. Leave the cable on for Windows though.

5. Multiple identical AMD cards work better in FCP X than single AMD cards. FCP X is optimised for AMD such that dual 5770 cards will easily outpace top end nVidia cards. The cards have to be identical, no mix and matching.

6. Turn off internal graphics cards as FCP may (or may not) prioritise the internal graphics card over your nice fast AMD cards.

7. You can benchmark your cards and FCP X performance using the BruceX benchmark. See first comment on searching the internet.

8. 290X and 295X still seem to be problematic and unless you like playing about with them are best avoided.

9. The 280X is basically the same as the 7970.

10. Some of the 270x cards appear problematic

Can you advice me here:
I have GTX 770 2GB
I'm planning to buy 2x GTX 780Ti because high end
But when i see ur post here i just hold on.
So here is my situation:
I have i7-4770
And planning later to upgrade with new motherboard and new CPU
I7-5820k

So you prefer to use AMD for FCPX
Is R9 390x supported

Advice me with great GPU with at least 4GB or 6GB
Will use multiple GPU

Max fo 1000$

Can you advice me here:
I have GTX 770 2GB
I'm planning to buy 2x GTX 780Ti because high end
But when i see ur post here i just hold on.
So here is my situation:
I have i7-4770
And planning later to upgrade with new motherboard and new CPU
I7-5820k

So you prefer to use AMD for FCPX
Is R9 390x supported

Advice me with great GPU with at least 4GB or 6GB
Will use multiple GPU

Max fo 1000$

For FCP X AMD based cards are still (just) the best value for money, though I understand that nVidia cards are getting better. I have no nVidia cards so cannot comment on their performance.

Searching through the forums shows the 390X to be problematic so if you have no idea what you are doing, are best avoided.

Why do you need dual 6GB cards? Whats your use case for this sort of technology? Since you don't say what you are intending to do, its impossible to comment further.

Rob

For FCP X AMD based cards are still (just) the best value for money, though I understand that nVidia cards are getting better. I have no nVidia cards so cannot comment on their performance.

Searching through the forums shows the 390X to be problematic so if you have no idea what you are doing, are best avoided.

Why do you need dual 6GB cards? Whats your use case for this sort of technology? Since you don't say what you are intending to do, its impossible to comment further.

Rob
Hi, I use fcpx with 4k video.
I just installed a gtx970 and the gain is minimum.
The R9 280x we tried to instal never worked (XFC brand)
I'm a little disappointed.
I would like to have fcpx work fluidly with a filter or two on in real time.
Maybe I need another gtx970?

PS: I have a ssd sytem and a raid 0 for files, I even tried a ssd for file, doesn't change anything

Hi, I use fcpx with 4k video.
I just installed a gtx970 and the gain is minimum.
The R9 280x we tried to instal never worked (XFC brand)
I'm a little disappointed.
I would like to have fcpx work fluidly with a filter or two on in real time.
Maybe I need another gtx970?

PS: I have a ssd sytem and a raid 0 for files, I even tried a ssd for file, doesn't change anything

The XFX cards appear to have issues. You are not the first person to have this problem.

Many 280X cards do work OOTB, you are unlucky enough to choose one of the ones that don't :(

SSD won't change much, thats no surprise as there's virtually no data being moved on or off the disk with the BruceX benchmark. SSD's will work well when you get to big projects though.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back