Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X Video Editing Hardware and Software on Z97X Motherboard and i7-4790K

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sapphire R9 280 should work too. If you can get the 280 X for the same price though that is
what you want. See if you can contact the seller and tell him you ordered the wrong card.

The Sapphire R9 280 should work too. If you can get the 280 X for the same price though that is
what you want. See if you can contact the seller and tell him you ordered the wrong card.

edit: i just contacted the seller hope he can cancel the order.

edit: the seller cancel my order and refund my money:headbang:

Last edited:
one question my power supply is 430 watts,do i need to upgrade to a 750 power supply?

The AMD cards are better optimised for FCPX than the nVidia cards. Whilst nVidia cards will work, the only nVidia cards that approach the speed of the AMD cards are the very high end TITAN cards. This is not to say the nVidia cards are not very good, it is simply that FCPX is heavily optimised to use the AMD architecture.

This doesn't necessarily hold absolutely true anymore, based on my experience - I'm using an nVidia geforce GTX 690 (basically, dual GTX680s) and they perform extremely zippy with FCPX, and in some actions even outperform a similar AMD card. Use the handy benchmark named 'Bruce' to compare performances.

It becomes a question of how much faster do you get, for how much more money do you spend?

I'd also be interested in any benchmark as well.

I do agree that the nVidia cards have come on in leaps and bounds over the last year though I haven't seen any benchmarks. The last time I looked the nVidia Titans were pretty close to an AMD 280X for FCPX. The Titans were far superior for many other non FCPX activities. I can't recall if this was for dual 280X or a single 280X. I suspect dual 280X cards :)

I have no doubt a GTX 690 is nippy, its difficult to define 'nippy' so its difficult to say if its the same speed, half the speed or twice the speed.

Post the BruceX benchmark and lets see how it does for a contrived and fairly pointless activity :) It only takes 10-15 mins to do the lot.

Rob

Yep, that's with the GTX 690, which technically has dual GPUs on the single card - albeit not all apps recognize it. Would be nice if there were some means for FCPX to recognize that.
Any way to check of the Adobe Apps recognize it - any particular benchmarks for After Effects, Premiere, or Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back