Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X Video Editing Hardware and Software on Z97X Motherboard and i7-4790K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have two identical 280X cards. I would assume (but have no way to verify it), that FCPX will check the GPU ID and if they are not the same, will treat them as different cards. My personal view would be to have two identical cards, if you already have the two different cards try them and see, if you only have one, buy an identical one to pair it with. Why create issues if you don't need to?

All my displays are DVI output. None of my monitors use HDMI or DP.

Your use of HDD's and SDD's seem OK. 256GB for system is OK. Not sure about how FCPX uses scratch disk. I use a single 512GB for OS X and Apps so never an issue. The rest is just storage.

Can't comment on Resolve as don't use it.

Rob

On my current system (mbp retina 15" 2012) I use a single ssd for system and apps. All my media inside the library on a separate thunderbolt raid 1 disc. For my custo Mac I'm thinking about getting an internal media drive and import straight from the card to this drive. In final cut I will then create a library file in the scratch ssd and when importing the media, leave it in the original place. All three drives backed up to a Drobo via usb 3. This is all experimental on my behalf, so please feel free to criticize :)

On my current system (mbp retina 15" 2012) I use a single ssd for system and apps. All my media inside the library on a separate thunderbolt raid 1 disc. For my custo Mac I'm thinking about getting an internal media drive and import straight from the card to this drive. In final cut I will then create a library file in the scratch ssd and when importing the media, leave it in the original place. All three drives backed up to a Drobo via usb 3. This is all experimental on my behalf, so please feel free to criticize :)

That sounds sensible to me.

Hello!

I am experiencing something strange with this build - and it happens (I think) since about 1 month. No idea what changed to be honest:

(Ga Z97x UD5H BK, I74770K 32GB RAM Dual R280x GPU)

After playing back HD or 4K (doesnt matter) - rendered or unrendered - (doesnt matter) the Playback STUTTERS for about 3-5 seconds after about 15-45 seconds. This can be reproduced with every timeline. Stuttering means dropped frames AND dropped audio. The playback then "catches up" - you can literally see this on my monitor (both via GPU and Decklink Mini SDI) and then it continues for about 15-45 secs again --- and so on.

I have a CPU workload graph running - and when the stuttering happens FCPX drops from 95% usage (1core) to 10% and then up to 140% and then to 95% again. When rendering it goes up to 700%.

Unworkable and unshowable :(

Any ideas??

Thank you

EDIT: I tried to disable throttling etc in BIOS, I even tried Overclocking - doesnt change anything.

I don't use HD or 4K content normally so haven't seen this at all. I did play about with a test 4K sample set for somebody a few months ago and generated a 11GB file without any of issues that you have seen.

Is it with all 4K input or just from one source? Can you test it with a sample 4K input from somebody else? The fact that the CPU goes off the scale tends to make me think there is something bad on the input file, but there's not enough information here. Do you get any errors in the Console?

I assume you have it working perfectly well at standard resolution.

Rob

Thank you for your answer:

The source file does not matter. Xavc, H.264, Prores ( I got endless different formats to try) - even when I switch to PROXY - it's all the same. And yes - even in standard resolution. What makes me totally puzzled is, that the AUDIO stutters too. Thats extremely weird because normally audio playback always works - in every editing program.

I have no audio driver working as I dont need one - I use the Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor PCI-E card for everything. I removed that, uninstalled..etc...doesn't change anything.

What do you mean by "errors in the console?"

Every 10-50 seconds this happens, no matter what. And it always catches up again. I can try to make a video tomorrow but that wont show more than I can write here :(

Thank you for your answer:

The source file does not matter. Xavc, H.264, Prores ( I got endless different formats to try) - even when I switch to PROXY - it's all the same. And yes - even in standard resolution. What makes me totally puzzled is, that the AUDIO stutters too. Thats extremely weird because normally audio playback always works - in every editing program.

I have no audio driver working as I dont need one - I use the Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor PCI-E card for everything. I removed that, uninstalled..etc...doesn't change anything.

What do you mean by "errors in the console?"

Every 10-50 seconds this happens, no matter what. And it always catches up again. I can try to make a video tomorrow but that wont show more than I can write here :(

"Errors in the console" is the Apple Console under Application->Utilities->Console. System level errors and application errors *may* get written there. Then again they may not.

Thats odd, can you put up a (small) sample somewhere for me to download and try. Clearly it needs to be greater than 45 secs. I make no promises as to when I can look at it, but will have try in the next few days.

Rob

Thanks!!

In the console there is an error, yes! It says:

21/02/16 07:37:56,908 Final Cut Pro[676]: CGContextConvertRectToDeviceSpace: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.

http://mab.to/bwOUu0fKz - please only people who can try this with the same system - 1GB

A file without audio but lots of steady movement.+ iphone video of my screen (external via SDI but viewer screen of fcpx does the same and even the timecode numbers stutter) with stutter. Keep in mind it doesnt happen at the same seconds, always a different timecode where it stutters!

Do NOT mistake the direction change at 43secs as playback stutter :) Also not the first 5 secs

My Macbookpro from 2013 plays this nicely in FCPX!!! Same settings!

Try it in a 1920x1080 25p Timeline. Simply put it in and hit the play button. On my system somewhere between 10secs and 1 minute stuttering happens. Audio might break shortly, picture definitely. And I mean heavily dropping frames for 2-5 seconds. (Iphone video attached too, see at around 10 seconds)

EDIT: One more console message I caught while trying:

21/02/16 09:32:14,000 kernel[0]: process mds_stores[241] thread 4980 caught burning CPU!; EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

21/02/16 09:35:13,883 Final Cut Pro[778]: GVA error: Flow_QT0::physicalAcceleratorDispose, m_physical_accel_created == false

What the F***?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 07.39.26.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 07.39.26.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 08.30.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 08.30.23.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 08.30.07.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 08.30.07.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 118
I also did a build. i7-4790K, Asus Z79-A, 2 x Sapphire Toxic R9 280X (Radeon), 32GB. El Capitan 10.11.3

BruceX to ProRes 422HQ: 17 seconds.
Geekbench 3 32-bit: SingleCore 4046, MultiCore 15293.
Luxmark v3.1: 26785

Pretty neat. :) Many thanks to rwillett for hinting that dual R9 280Xs are perfect for FCPX!

Hi,

Thanks for the update on your rig.

I get virtually identical performance from my system, the major (and its minor really) difference being I have a Gigabyte motherboard and you have the Asus version. Shows how little difference there is.

The other major difference is you are using 10.11.3 and I cannot get 10.11.3 stable on my system.

I have created a thread for this issue some weeks ago here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...e-freezing-issues-10-11-2-z97x-ud5h-280x.html

Would you mind popping over to that thread and posting your system there and the fact that you are NOT having issues with 10.11.3. I'm trying to keep this thread for video stuff (for which your post here is absolutely fine and thanks for posting) and a separate thread for issues. It would be great if we could get more information about what you have and see if there is some reason your system is fine and other peoples fails.

Many thanks

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back