Graphics
2x GTX 980 Asus Strix
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I just recently got my hackintosh up and running on 10.11 and everything seems to be running just fine, Nvidia web drivers installed, USB drivers working, internet etc. So I went and installed FCPX and it is just unbearably laggy stuttering if I play a 10 second clip it just stutters like nothing else. I cannot really do anything. Normal video playback is fine (youtube etc).

6700k @4.5ghz
Asus z170-A
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
2xGTX 980 Asus Strix.

Any idea whats going on? my old MCP out preforms this thing all day. I was reading on a thread that someone "disabled their onboard GPU" because final cut was using it instead of the dedicated GPU, but i have no idea if that is true or possible. Any help is great!

So I just recently got my hackintosh up and running on 10.11 and everything seems to be running just fine, Nvidia web drivers installed, USB drivers working, internet etc. So I went and installed FCPX and it is just unbearably laggy stuttering if I play a 10 second clip it just stutters like nothing else. I cannot really do anything. Normal video playback is fine (youtube etc).

6700k @4.5ghz
Asus z170-A
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
2xGTX 980 Asus Strix.

Any idea whats going on? my old MCP out preforms this thing all day. I was reading on a thread that someone "disabled their onboard GPU" because final cut was using it instead of the dedicated GPU, but i have no idea if that is true or possible. Any help is great!

It is true to disable onboard GPU for FCPX use when you have external graphics cards, I may even have written that statement :)

So if you have GTX980 cards you should disable the internal graphics card. There is no advantage whatsoever using the internal graphics card (apart from getting the kit configured and installed). Once installed, go into the BIOS and disable the internal graphics card.

It is not clear what priority FCPX applies to where it does graphics work, however it appears that the internal graphics cards *often* take priority over significantly faster dedicated GPU's. This means that FCPX drives work to the onboard GPU to do and ignores the faster GPU's sitting in the machine. Two GTX 980's will be OK with FCPX and it should work OK.

Just to set your expectations, do not expect blinding FCPX performance even with dual GTX 980s. I would expect it do the Bruce X test in around 30 secs or so. A pair of AMD 280X will be around 16 secs. FCPX is massively optimised for AMD GPUs.

Rob

That's fine, my goal is to just have it run at all. I don't do 4k video or anything, its literally just 1080p@60fps footage cutting and trimming. I don't do much for graphics or overlays etc.

How does one disable their onboard GPU? I am hoping it is not the line I did in the guide I followed from brumbaer "System Agent/Graphics Configuration/Primary Display PCIE" Because that is already done, which would mean FCP is slow even with my gtx 980s.

Last question, are there drivers equivilant to windows for the CPU? like a chipset driver? The reason I ask is because despite being a very fast CPU, mac OSX being installed on a SSD and everything working the whole system just seems slow. Hovering over context menus and animations on clicks are all very slow and the whole system just seems like its running in safe mode almost (its not I checked). I know the GPU drivers are working I just cant help but think that the sluggishness in desktop use and FCPX might be related. Anyways thanks for the help!

I recently ran into the same problem running dual GTX 980 cards and FCPX.

The simplest solution (at least for me) was to remove one of them. This fixed all the stuttering.

But with one GTX980 you got great performances? I come from imac 2011 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB, i can notice benefits?

6700k @4.5ghz
Asus z170-A
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
2xGTX 980 Asus Strix.

same problem 2x 1080 11gb ram i7 7700k 4.8ghz

but when i overclocking to 5ghz it will be less jerky

the solution

try it and tell me

i dont know how to do it

Hey guys, so this is a common issue with Dual GPUs.

Which is funny because the Mac Pro 2013 has Dual GPUs but this problem doesn't happen on that machine.

I've sent feedback to Apple and so should all of you.

In the future, a new Mac Pro (Modular) will probably have multiple PCIe slots and Dual GPUs will be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back