Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pair of 5770 cards work very well, but they are old, oldish :)

The AMD 280X cards *should* work fine. I ran a pair of them on a Z87X MB and had fantastic performance, I moved to a Z97X MB and still have the dual 280X cards which work perfectly well. A single 280X card is still a very good card for use with FCP X.

I run Lightroom and Photoshop as well with no issues, we have around 70,000 photos and flick between them with no problems.

eBay has them for approx £85, check carefully which 280X card you buy as the MSI ones are a little tricky. The Sapphire ones tend to work out of the box.

The only downside I have with the AMD cards is that when I boot into Windows 10, BF1 and BF4 aren't top notch graphics :(

Many, Many Thanks rwillett! I just purchased a Sapphire Radeon R9 280X - 3GB on eBay for $100. Thanks for the heads up on the MSI cards as there's a number for sale on eBay. My fingers are crossed and I'm sure the card is better than my EVGA GeForce GTX 560. Now I gotta figure out how to run an ADM card after all these years with Nvidia.

Thanks again for your fast response rwillett!

John V

@John V How's your experience been with the 280X?

I also just purchased a Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB but it has had a bunch of glitchy issues in FCPX which is the reason for my Hackintosh. I have been running a pair of Sapphire 7970s but since upgrading to Sierra, they have not been as smooth - system crashes.

I had read that the RX 580 should be OOB for 10.12.6 and 10.13.x (@Stork), but it's just not working out that way.

Are you running FCPX 10.4? What version of Mac OS are you running?

@John V
I had read that the RX 580 should be OOB for 10.12.6 and 10.13.x (@Stork), but it's just not working out that way.

Pretty sure it's not OOB for anything lower than 10.13.4, including all of 10.12.x

@EddyMac I've been wondering if I should upgrade to 10.13.4 (which is a bit more effort on my board). Is that what you are running?

How is the RX 580 for you? Do you use FCPX?

@Stork stated in several threads that this card was on Apple's list of approved cards for eGPUs started with 10.12.6, which is what I was banking on. But it is not playing out that way.

I got the Sapphire version of the RX 580 several months ago and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Not a single problem. And yes, I use FCPX as well as the Adobe Creative Suite.

@EddyMac I've been wondering if I should upgrade to 10.13.4 (which is a bit more effort on my board). Is that what you are running?

How is the RX 580 for you? Do you use FCPX?

@Stork stated in several threads that this card was on Apple's list of approved cards for eGPUs started with 10.12.6, which is what I was banking on. But it is not playing out that way.
My Sapphire RX 580 Pulse was OK in 10.12.6, but was ify until 10.13.5. Now, with 10.13.6, all's well. So, update to 10.13.6 if you're on an earlier version of HS.

@John V How's your experience been with the 280X?

I also just purchased a Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB but it has had a bunch of glitchy issues in FCPX which is the reason for my Hackintosh. I have been running a pair of Sapphire 7970s but since upgrading to Sierra, they have not been as smooth - system crashes.

Are you running FCPX 10.4? What version of Mac OS are you running?

Hi Heinrich,

I've purchased the 280X card but haven't had a chance to install it. Been super busy. Will try this week and get back to you.

Thanks! John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back