Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under 10.12.3 in FCPX 3.2 my times have gone up.
My RX480 using 4444XQ @ 5k is now 18 seconds.

Thanks for sharing, I was really excited when someone posted 8 secs with a single rx480.

Almost jumped from dual 280x to single rx480

BruceX results with Rx480 and Dual Rx480

System not really stable: works fine mostly but often crashes under load (FCPX - where it matters)

Was able to run BruceX a couple times though:
Single RX480: 18-20 Sec ( yes I know I should have calculated perfectly)
Dual Rx480: 12-14 Sec

Setup:
I7 4770K at 3.5 GHZ
16GB Ram
Samsung SSDs
Under Sierra 10.12.3
FCPX 10.3.2

Open CL score in Geekbench: around 140.000 (single card)

I followed this here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-skylake-i5-6500-macos-10-12-3.209909/

As I said this system isn't yet stable - wanted to say however that Dual Rx480s work and show speed improvement.

I'm surprised at the dual 480X scores. I get around 13 secs with dual 280X cards. I thought a single 480X card was between 50% and 80% faster than a single 280X.

Admittedly this is early days but I'd hope the performance would get significantly better.

Rob

I'm surprised at the dual 480X scores. I get around 13 secs with dual 280X cards. I thought a single 480X card was between 50% and 80% faster than a single 280X.

Admittedly this is early days but I'd hope the performance would get significantly better.

Rob
Hi Rob,

I would assume that there's still a lot of room for improvement with Rx480 cards since they're not supported natively (and my system doesn't even run stable ATM, neither with 1 or 2 cards - so things have to be changed)....

Also my processor and Ram might play into this as well ( not sure how much this affects BruceX performance)

Cheers,
Arne

I have a slightly faster CPU (4Ghz?) and 32GB but the BruceX benchmark is specifically designed to test the GPU performance by doing lots of visual effects stuff.

Whilst a very slow processor and very little RAM will make a difference, its not going to be too much worse off for the benchmark as it doesn't hit the CPU much or RAM or Disk.

The fact you have made it work at all is good, but there is clearly lots of performance improvements to be got out of the cards.

I'll stick with the dual 280X cards for the moment.

Rob

I have a slightly faster CPU (4Ghz?) and 32GB but the BruceX benchmark is specifically designed to test the GPU performance by doing lots of visual effects stuff.

Whilst a very slow processor and very little RAM will make a difference, its not going to be too much worse off for the benchmark as it doesn't hit the CPU much or RAM or Disk.

The fact you have made it work at all is good, but there is clearly lots of performance improvements to be got out of the cards.

I'll stick with the dual 280X cards for the moment.

Rob

Hi Rob.

I just got my new Hackintosh up and running. I went with two r9 280x GPUs. How do I know if they are both contributing to the system? I can plug my display into either one and get a picture and the fans on each card are constantly spinning. But when I check "About This Mac" under graphics it shows "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB." Should the VRAM be doubled since I have two 3 gig cards installed?

Under system report, depending on which card I have plugged-in to my display will show: "PCIe Lane Width: x16" For the plugged in card while the other shows "PCIe Lane Width: x4"

I think I'm good to go but not positive. Any thoughts?

Brett

This is fine.

It should show two "AMD Radeon HD....." cards in About This Mac not one though.

The PCIe Lane width is due to how your overall PIC bandwidth is allocated. Your board has allocated it in this proportion.

You also need to update your profile with your hardware.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 05.40.11.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 05.40.11.png
    22 KB · Views: 131
This is fine.

It should show two "AMD Radeon HD....." cards in About This Mac not one though.

The PCIe Lane width is due to how your overall PIC bandwidth is allocated. Your board has allocated it in this proportion.

You also need to update your profile with your hardware.

Updated profile.

I see them both like in the file you attached. Just not in the first screen that pops up when you click the apple logo then "About this mac." Should I see them both there as well? It may be because I only have a single display connected.

Hello.

BruceX results with GT 740 2GB

I7 4770K at 3.5 GHZ
32GB Ram
HDD
Sierra 10.12.3
FCPX 10.3.2

65 sec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back