Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this test, not sure I am doing it correctly but here is my setup
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
I7 6700K not over clocked
32GB RAM
1 Gigabyte RX460 4GB ( I paid $100 for it. Is the older R9 280X faster )
2 Samsung 512GB 840 EVO drives
10.12.2 OS Sierra

I am getting around 30 seconds I am export/share using Proress 422

Hey everyone so I can't find the best place to ask this question regarding FCP X and Premiere Pro, so let me ask it to everyone in this thread and see if I have any luck.

Would it be better to have Dual R9 280x's for 4K video editing in FCP, or my current 980 ti for Premiere?

I know both programs to the same degree so that is not an issue. However it would be cheaper for me to sell my 980 ti and pick up the dual 280x's, which is why I am asking.

I'm not sure if anyone has any personal experience, but if so that would be great. If not, any input or advice would be much appreciated.

Hey everyone so I can't find the best place to ask this question regarding FCP X and Premiere Pro, so let me ask it to everyone in this thread and see if I have any luck.

Would it be better to have Dual R9 280x's for 4K video editing in FCP, or my current 980 ti for Premiere?

I know both programs to the same degree so that is not an issue. However it would be cheaper for me to sell my 980 ti and pick up the dual 280x's, which is why I am asking.

I'm not sure if anyone has any personal experience, but if so that would be great. If not, any input or advice would be much appreciated.

For Premiere stick with your 980 ti
I believe only FCPX likes AMD better

For Premiere stick with your 980 ti
I believe only FCPX likes AMD better
I understand FCPX likes AMD better that's why I am asking if dual 280x's in FCPX would be faster than my 980 ti in premiere.

I know both programs to the same degree so that is not an issue.

if you know how to use Premier Pro, I would stick with that as the 980ti supports that very well. And macOS is well supported by nVidivia for drivers.

Hi, I tried Gigabyte RX 480 4 GB and FCPX crashes any time it tries to show any video. Is it because of the brand or any specific settings? I installed it only by adding the ID in AMDRadeonX4100.kext. It has the boot to black screen problem, but that's not fatal. Otherwise it works well with acceleration and games.

Thanks!

It's because the latest version of fcpx causes an issue with the igpu. You can delete part of the skylake drivers and fcpx will work again.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-radeon-drivers.197273/page-144#post-1396576
As I don't use windows so have no need to dual boot, I edited my rx480 bios as described by okrasit (disable the GOP/UEFI) which enables you to boot without igpu. You still have to boot blindly, which is why it's probably not a good idea to edit the bios unless your card has a dual bios. I have to use the other bios to edit my motherboard bios etc or restore from a timemachine backup.
But this also fixes the fcpx issue permanently.

It's because the latest version of fcpx causes an issue with the igpu. You can delete part of the skylake drivers and fcpx will work again.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-radeon-drivers.197273/page-144#post-1396576
As I don't use windows so have no need to dual boot, I edited my rx480 bios as described by okrasit (disable the GOP/UEFI) which enables you to boot without igpu. You still have to boot blindly, which is why it's probably not a good idea to edit the bios unless your card has a dual bios. I have to use the other bios to edit my motherboard bios etc or restore from a timemachine backup.
But this also fixes the fcpx issue permanently.

Thanks, I fixed it by deleting the 2 Intel SKL files. FCPX works, but there is a pause every few seconds. I fixed the pause by unplugging the iGPU cable from the monitor (DVI). Something to do with multiple screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back