Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro users here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear you had a "happy end" without unnecessarily buying new hardware or spending days installing different kexts/dsdts...!

And the mistake isn't "amatuer": with only 550 current video codecs, who's-to-know what works best and what apple will support. Happy editing/hackintoshing!

-ninetto

So, still having an issue with my Hackintosh hanging every time I use Final Cut (and Firefox, for that matter). Doesn't happen immediately; I have full functionality for some time between 1 and 45 minutes (usually under 10), then the beachball appears.

Can anyone tell me how to read these mile-long hang reports for the relevant info or has anyone solved a problem like this?

charlzm said:
So, still having an issue with my Hackintosh hanging every time I use Final Cut (and Firefox, for that matter). Doesn't happen immediately; I have full functionality for some time between 1 and 45 minutes (usually under 10), then the beachball appears.

Can anyone tell me how to read these mile-long hang reports for the relevant info or has anyone solved a problem like this?

how much RAM have you got installed? scratch disk setup?

dh22r said:
charlzm said:

how much RAM have you got installed? scratch disk setup?

12 gigs, scratch disk is a 1tb WD Caviar Black (not the system drive).

I have a feeling this is either some kind of a RAM issue or a video issue. I have the RAm installed properly according to the MOBO guide, but OSX told me once at boot to change my configuration. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what this means in terms of PC hardware:

"Recommended RAM configuration:
A1 - 4GB
A5 - 2GB
A2 - 2GB
A3 - 4GB"

I should stress that FCP (and the rest of the system, for that matter) worked flawlessly for over a month before these problems started, which was a little before I installed the 10.6.5 update. Rolling back my settings hasn't helped. I'm about one long evening away from wiping out the whole install and starting over fresh.

I have no advice on your RAM configuration, since I don't have your MB, but it sure looks odd mixing 4GB and 2 GB modules....! Can this really be accepted configuration? HAve you tried running MEMTEST?

I just wanted to add my 2cents regarding the neurotic obsession with having the latest update: I would NEVER update a working system, unless I had a damn good and urgent reason to do so. You wrote that your system had no issues until the 10.6.5 update... well in your shoes I would probably revert to your former system: which is again an important reason why it pays to make an image of a perfect install, then it is only a matter of minutes to resolve these problems instead of days. (Don't mean to sound like the Sunday preacher-man, but I speak as a former sinner who has seen the error of his ways: now I have a hard drive just full of images that I can re-install in no time at all!) Highly recommended! :idea:

ninetto said:
I would NEVER update a working system, unless I had a damn good and urgent reason to do so. You wrote that your system had no issues until the 10.6.5 update...

Actually, I said it happened before the update. I installed the update in hopes of fixing whatever the issue was. Silly me.

And if I ever do get a perfect install, then I'll save it. On nearly 3 months, I haven't gotten close enough to a fully functional OS to be satisfied. In a week or two, I'm just going to wipe everything out and either try again myself or pay someone to do it for me.

charlzm said:
ninetto said:
I would NEVER update a working system, unless I had a damn good and urgent reason to do so. You wrote that your system had no issues until the 10.6.5 update...

Actually, I said it happened before the update. I installed the update in hopes of fixing whatever the issue was. Silly me.

And if I ever do get a perfect install, then I'll save it. On nearly 3 months, I haven't gotten close enough to a fully functional OS to be satisfied. In a week or two, I'm just going to wipe everything out and either try again myself or pay someone to do it for me.

Hey Charlzm,

I am in a funny spot too. I had everything working great at one point, but now I am stuck booting from iBoot as well lol. My most Stable build to date was.

install 10.6.3 from the CD and iBootATI (GraphicsEnabler=NO)
then updated to 10.6.4
run multibeast 2.2.0 (everything except graphics options)
reboot
install Apple Graphics Update 1.0
run multibeast with graphics (ATY_Vervet)
reboot
install 10.6.5
run multibeast to repair permissions
and voalla! it all worked... I have that install saved but I keep trying to redo it with newer versions of multibeast and iboot and they just dont work as well as 2.2.0

The good news is my final cut still works even though my system thinks its an imac with 4GB of ram.

Did you ever figure out why your system needed to boot with the CD?

-John

jreeve0805 said:
Did you ever figure out why your system needed to boot with the CD?

-John

Never did. I think I've got a stable install at the moment. It's 32 bit with Uakari. It's frustrating because I extracted the ROM using Jdutch's guide but I just can't get it to work. I've also been able to get into 64 bit mode once or twice, but the system gets twitchy and my right side monitor gets no signal.

I've been putting out feelers on Craig's List to see if I can get someone who actually knows what he's doing to fix my install or just do it over the right way. I've been banging my head on this for three months now and enough's enough. I just don't have time to teach myself how to become a Hackintosh expert AND work my day job AND edit video freelance, too.

This forum has been incredibly helpful, and everyone here has been very patient and even-tempered. I just didn't realize that this was so bleeding-edge when I decided to build a Hack.

Sorry to hear about your Hackintosh pain, but a glance at your specs shows that you could have made your task easier, if you were not interested in investing time to become a "hackintosh expert", by chosing stock hardware that most people have up-and-running in less than an hour.

Please don't consider this criticism, I imagine there is a good reason why you have an Asrock board and Ati-gpu... but these components do require more tweaking than others.

This post is mostly to assure others that it IS possible to get very fast and stable video-editing systems running with recommended hardware.

And for jreeve0805:
are you sure you installed chameleon correctly? which version? what kexts are in your EXTRA folder and which SMBIOS are you using? If you are using the bootloader on iBoot it has a limitation of not recognizing more that 4GB Ram, which is why you are not seeing the correct RAM now...

ninetto said:
chosing stock hardware that most people have up-and-running in less than an hour.

Please don't consider this criticism, I imagine there is a good reason why you have an Asrock board and Ati-gpu... but these components do require more tweaking than others.

I tried to get a Mobo that some people here were using (Intel BOXDP55WB LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel), but it didn't work with the processor I wanted. And the video card I chose because it is supposedly close to what comes from Mac in a MacPro build.

In retrospcect, I should have done more research and found a powerful system someone had built successfully and cloned it. Or just bought one form someone who makes them. but silly me, I thought that, since I've been building my own systems since 1992, it wouldn't be too tough.

Oh, well, live and learn.

Let this be a warning to those who wish to strike out on their own path - chances are you'll find yourself thick in the underbrush and without a guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back