Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro users here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi charlzm,

I don't know about the 5870, but the 5770 I have is a royal pain in the butt to configure. Each time multibeast is updated my previous method becomes obsolete and I have to either reinvent the wheel or use an older multibeast. If I could do it all over again I would use an NVIDIA card.

Here is the thread I used to get it working, but be aware this was with multibeast 2.1.0. Since then ive got it working with 2.2.0, but could NOT get it to go with 2.3.0 at all.

-John

charlzm said:
bjr2 said:
For my 2 cents worth it works great. I'm a news and documentary editor by trade and decided to try a hack pro build (i7-930 + GA-x58a + radeon 5770). Rock solid so far and outperforming my 2009 mac pro edit station at the studio. I even have an intensity pro card working with it.

Now if I could only get the esata2 working I could get better performance than fw400 from my external media drives.

How difficult was it for you to configure your video card? I'm still "kexting" my Hackintosh build; so far, the video card I chose (Radeon 5870) seems to be the major issue still requiring fine tuning.

BTW, the only reason I wanted a Hackintosh was to run FC7. Glad to hear people are making it work. I wasn't able to install yet - the OS didn't like my video card as currently configured.

jreeve0805 said:
I don't know about the 5870, but the 5770 I have is a royal pain in the butt to configure. Each time multibeast is updated my previous method becomes obsolete and I have to either reinvent the wheel or use an older multibeast. If I could do it all over again I would use an NVIDIA card.

-John

John,

Thanks for the reply and the knowledge. If this card gives me enough trouble, I may switch to Nvidia, too.

I'm just about to sit down and start work on configuring my system again. About all I have accomplished so far is installing Snow Leopard. Still booting from an iBoot CD (Chameleon is doing the famous video card signal loss while fans run at full blast trick), video card not set up right, "About this Mac" shows wrong amounts of RAM installed and video card RAM at 1/4 of what it actually has, screen resolution too low, etc... Haven't even started on sound or networking yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Charles

charlzm said:
jreeve0805 said:

-John

John,

Thanks for the reply and the knowledge. If this card gives me enough trouble, I may switch to Nvidia, too.

I'm just about to sit down and start work on configuring my system again. About all I have accomplished so far is installing Snow Leopard. Still booting from an iBoot CD (Chameleon is doing the famous video card signal loss while fans run at full blast trick), video card not set up right, "About this Mac" shows wrong amounts of RAM installed and video card RAM at 1/4 of what it actually has, screen resolution too low, etc... Haven't even started on sound or networking yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Charles
The "famous video card signal loss while fans run at full blast trick" is most likely due to GraphicsEnabler=Yes while using ATY_Init.

MacMan said:
The "famous video card signal loss while fans run at full blast trick" is most likely due to GraphicsEnabler=Yes while using ATY_Init.

I'll have to check that out. I used Multibeast and thought I had configured the ATY correctly. Again, I can boot from an iBoot CD but not from Chameleon on the boot hard drive.

IN other news, the system is working fine except for a few issues.

1. the above mentioned boot issue.

2. Despite my efforts with Multibeast to set the system as a MacPro, it still shows up as an iMac in "about This Mac".

3. Also, I have 12 gigs of RAM installed but only 4 are being used by the system. The BIOS sees it all and System Profiler sees it correctly as well, but it just isn't being used. I've tried swapping simms around but nothing changes.

However, it is running very well as a Final Cut 7.XX machine!

I tried to install Pro Tools LE 7.0 as well, but apparently anything lower than 7.4 doesn't work with Snow Leopard above 10.4.

charlzm said:
MacMan said:

I'll have to check that out. I used Multibeast and thought I had configured the ATY correctly. Again, I can boot from an iBoot CD but not from Chameleon on the boot hard drive.

IN other news, the system is working fine except for a few issues.

1. the above mentioned boot issue.

2. Despite my efforts with Multibeast to set the system as a MacPro, it still shows up as an iMac in "about This Mac".

3. Also, I have 12 gigs of RAM installed but only 4 are being used by the system. The BIOS sees it all and System Profiler sees it correctly as well, but it just isn't being used. I've tried swapping simms around but nothing changes.

However, it is running very well as a Final Cut 7.XX machine!

I tried to install Pro Tools LE 7.0 as well, but apparently anything lower than 7.4 doesn't work with Snow Leopard above 10.4.
Items 2 and 3 sounds like you are still booting from iBoot which will always show system as an iMac and only allow access to 4GB RAM.

MacMan said:
Items 2 and 3 sounds like you are still booting from iBoot which will always show system as an iMac and only allow access to 4GB RAM.

Oh.

Guess if I fix #1 then #2 and #3 will take care of themselves. Time to go find some Chameleon tutorials...

I have used FCP7 on my Hackintosh and it is as flawless as that software will run. WIN!

Still wrestling with the Chameleon/iBoot issue, but at least the system is running and usable for Final Cut, which is why I built the system in the first place!

FakeSteez said:
I've got FCP7 to install but previewing footage is extremely laggy-unwatchable. This is true for all HD video, vimeo, youtube, collegehumor, ect. Especially for action-related HD video.

Then something is wrong with your installation.

What some people do not realize: the playback of video is very much linked to how your sound is configured. I had a similar symptom on one system until I updated/changed the sound kexts (maybe I started using DSDT corrections back then too... sorry I cannot remember the solution exactly).

You might want to check exactly what codecs are giving you problems. Video and sound codec... there are LOTS of flavors of HD... sometimes the problem is specifically related to one type of codec.

good luck, ninetto

Ninetto,

I don't know how experienced you are with FCP (and please don't be insulted if these are things you already know), but let me make some general suggestions that may be applicable to your situation:

Make sure your media is on a separate drive from your OS.

Minimum connection speed for smooth playback on an outboard drive is FW800.

Set your FCP preferences so that the program can use all available CPU cores and RAM.

Set your preview preferences in the timeline to "unlimited".

If you have media using a codec that's not the same as your timeline settings, then transcode it.

Render anything that's a color besides green if you're still having trouble.

And good luck!

Hello
New to this but have FCP7 running OK (I think) on a hackintosh.
Any setup tips regarding scratch disks?
Should I have seperate scratch & media drives for FCP?
Also does anyone have any experience with Decklink cards in hackintosh setups?

Cheers
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back