Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro optimizations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some time testing things out and there's a huge improvement of title animations, 4k video imports etc. huge thanks for that :)

However Quicktime screen recording stopped working.

I don't know if it somehow connected to the new EFI but when I hit stop recording icon the icon disappears but the Quicktime continues to record and when I force quit it says that I'm going to stop a working process.

Is there some connection? I've made a quick Google search and haven't found any solution.

Shouldn't be related to the revised EFI, but this is a Hack so you never know!

It sounds more like an issue with Quicktime. But I haven't seen or heard of any issues like you are experiencing with your setup.

Saying that, the config.plist is using the Default headless framebuffer for a Coffee Lake IGPU 0x3E910003, which isn't an exact match to the IGPU in your i9-9900K CPU. The IGPU in your CPU has the device ID 0x3E98, which might work better with one of the alternative CFL headless framebuffers 0x3E980003.

Only way to tell if this makes a difference is to swap the AAPL,ig-platform-id entry in you current config from 0300913E to 0300983E.

If you do try this alternative headless framebuffer, remember to use the ResetNvram or ClearNvram tool and Reboot the system from the OC Picker List/boot screen, before booting back in to macOS Monterey. So the old framebuffer entry is completely removed from the system NVRAM.

If the tools are hidden on the boot screen, simply press the spacebar when you see the picker list. This will tell OC to display the hidden Auxiliary items.

I've reverted my old EFI and Quicktime still isn't recording so it's not the configuration itself.

I did try the new framebuffer but I've got 120 000 Geekbench 5 score, and after i reverted it i again receive 142 000.

I reset the NvRam after each change.

I Found the problem the following commands are making the problem:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes

I set them back to NO and left the other commands to YES and now the Quicktime is working properly.

Can you tell me what exactly these commands do or provide me with some information how this will affect the performance.

Last edited:
Those are two entries from the overrides that are required in Big Sur and Monterey to force the AMD dGPU to undertake decoding and encoding in specific apps/situations.

The full list of overrides and an explanation, as far as it goes from Acidanthera, is shown below.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 20.33.06.png

The important part of this as far as you are concerned are the second and third items below:
  1. AMD GPU video decoder preference can be chosen through preferences overrides for some types of DRM content (like Apple TV and iTunes movie streaming).
  2. These overrides may not always be compatible with the rest of the operating system and may cause problems with other ways of hardware media decoding and encoding.
  3. For this reason such an override is not recommended for daily use and should only be enabled on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back