Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am interested in building a hackintosh to save money on my next workstation. I have noticed that AMD cards are not listed on the buyers guide even though nvidia GTX cards are not as suitable for FCPX in specific. Are there any major hurtles in making an AMD card work? Also, I want my render times to be faster than or at least as fast as the latest Mac Pro with dual D700's. Are any of the AMD firepro cards functioning in OS X or even the latest R9 cards? I am not looking to do any gaming on this machine so the better performance of a GTX card does not concern me for this build. Will I encounter significant downtime with an AMD card after I have set it up properly(if I'm not taking updates on OS X)? Lot's of downtime is a deal breaker, I would hate to buy old tech with the Mac Pro but if it's more stable then I will have to.

TL;DR Is it even possible to beat dual D700 performance on a hackintosh and how would I do it.

Go with either AMD RX 560, 570 or 580. The performance in FCPX are huge. In macOS Sierra 10.12.6 AMD cards are a lot more stable than Nvidia. I been using a GTX 960 for a while and I switch to an AMD RX 560 and now a RX 580. Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back