560ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok finally,

Case: Antec 900 case ($60 used, like new)
Processor: I7 2600k ($260 brand new)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68xp-ud4-b3 (new $185)
Ram: Corsair XMS3 1600mhz Ram part# CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 ($40)
Power Supply: Corsair TX650 ($60)
Hard Drive: Intel x25-m 80gb - $85 for Lion
later: 40gb ssd for Win 7 dual boot
2 x 1TB or 2TB drives for storage
Optical Drive: Looking for Sony Optiarc or other compatible drive

On a cpu cooler I'm debating between a Noctua NH-c12p SE14 for $45 or a Corsair H70 with 2 Ultra Kaze 3000 fans for $80.

We got a winner?
I'm still deciding on graphics, but that's not too important right now. I'll get a video card in a month from now or so. Planning to get a HP 2511 monitor x 2 as well. In addition to having my 3d tv connected to my video card. So, would need to run 3 to 4 monitor sources.

That is a great price for the i7-2600K and your PSU. Share your sources, please.

I recommend downloading the graphics card manual from the mfgrs' web site to see if your card(s) of choice will work with 3 or more monitors. As you probably know from your reading the forum (right?!), HDMI with audio is a work in progress. Additionally, Apple hasn't used VGA ever, IIRC. So, graphics cards that have DVI, HDMI and (Mini)DisplayPort are the ones you need to focus on. Gigabyte, Asus and MSI are in a 1st tier of card mfgrs which is why the tonymacx86 Recommended SB Builds (see my sig blk) recommends the Gigabyte cards. I'd also recommend focusing on the AMD/ATI 6870 cards for now. (69xx aren't supported by Apple, yet, and probably won't be until the new Mac Pro's come out.) Use ATI's web site "Reference Design" cards a basis on what will work as Apple uses the Reference Design for it's Mac Pro's ATI graphics cards. Finally, if you choose a nVidia card, search the forum for compatibility. nVidia has fallen out of favor with Apple after the MacBook Pro problems of several years ago.

I would make sure you have return rights on your DVD drive. I've got the Sony, but it sounds like a wind tunnel when it's recording. I've also got a LG Blu-ray ROM /DVD/CD drive which is whisper quite. So, if you want a quite drive look at the LG DVD drive. However, since Apple only supports Sony and Pioneer in their desktop Mac Pro's, YMMV as non Sony drives may cause installation and/or sleep/wake-up programs.

Thanks for the heads up. I will research further into those things. I am going to just run the integrated graphics now and decide on a video card a month or so ago in the $300 range give or take.

I have caught great deals on forums for the gear. Just got a package deal on the psu, ram, hd) :D. I am definitely happy with the way it's turning out financially almost being done. I can't decide whether to use the apple touchpad, magic mouse, or just use a regular logitech. I want to be able to use it from quite a distance so maybe a BT would be ideal.
Thanks again, ready for the fun part to start. I am nervous about the software, but I'll look and follow the guide word for word and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back