HD 3000 (Disabled) + RX470
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
recently I turned file vault on.
But I found it encrypts really slow!!!
I have been waiting for 1 day and it still says over 1 day remaining.
and the HDD speed was reduced from 200 MB/s to 20MB/s.
Is this a kinda issue?

Thanks for helping.

Cheers,
Brian

Hey guys,
recently I turned file vault on.
But I found it encrypts really slow!!!
I have been waiting for 1 day and it still says over 1 day remaining.
and the HDD speed was reduced from 200 MB/s to 20MB/s.
Is this a kinda issue?

Thanks for helping.

Cheers,
Brian

Depending on your HDD, encryption could take a really really long time to work through everything and since its on an HDD you going to be waiting really long.

If you had to use an SSD then it would be extremely fast in encrypting the data although it will take some time not as long as a HDD.

Encryption takes time, do some research on encryption and the different types of algorithms that they are. You will find out how long it would take to encrypt a drive by the algorithms strength.

Each algorithm has its own time period and method since they are built differently.

Curious/\/\ac

Depending on your HDD, encryption could take a really really long time to work through everything and since its on an HDD you going to be waiting really long.

If you had to use an SSD then it would be extremely fast in encrypting the data although it will take some time not as long as a HDD.

Encryption takes time, do some research on encryption and the different types of algorithms that they are. You will find out how long it would take to encrypt a drive by the algorithms strength.

Each algorithm has its own time period and method since they are built differently.

Curious/\/\ac
Thanks man.

Curious/\/\ac
I got a 2 TB hard drive... So maybe it will be very slow to encrypt...
There're MANY files in the hard drive, and the computer is very slow now! Even Can't Open The System Information Window...

Thanks man.

It is weird that it's taking a day+ the speeds are normal since Encryption by itself is slow.

How big is your HDD ?
How much Space has been used ?
How old is the drive ?

Answered before I could ask lol

All those could be factored into the speed and duration of the encryption.

Curious/\/\ac

Last edited:
I have the same problem here with APFS, it's ridiculously slow. I understand encryption is slow, but this is weirdly slow. Has anyone found out why yet?

Edit: I was not expecting HDD to be the reason for this extreme slowness... didn't appreciate how much SSD on my macbook was saving me a lot of time :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back