Contribute
Register

File System randomly corrupted after Shutdown (Catalog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z97M Killer
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670 4095 MB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi there,

I managed to install 10.8.5 and I'm using it with Pro Tools (DAW) for quite a while now without any issues, except of this one:
After maybe one of ten regular shutdowns (no panics) the system drive needs FS repair, which can not be handled by a simple fsck -fy. So I have to boot into single user mode and force rebuilding the the catalog with fsck_hfs -y -Rc.

Any idea what this could be? The hard drive does not report any issues (SMART).

Cheers,
Till

@bitone, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

@bitone, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).

This is a board from Compaq, so I can not really say much about it. It's a LGA1156 board with Intel Q57 chipset.

Thanks.

Hi guys

Any idea how to debug this issue? It is really running very stable, except of this file system corruption thing.

When I boot with -v option, I see this as last lines on shutting down, before power goes off:
Could not unmount /home, /net

Could this be the issue?
Is there a way to enable some logging on the shut down process, or how can I see what's going wrong?
Is maybe the power switched off before the FS journal could be saved? But how is this possible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Foto.JPG
There are messages about still valid PIDs and stray processes in the end, which have to be killed with -SIGTERM...
Could this be the source of the issue?
This time, the root file system was not corrupted. But I think that the shutdown process looks similar each time.
I will take a photo each time now, so I can see if there is a difference when the corruption happens.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back