Contribute
Register

File-sharing between MacPro & Hackintosh - no authentication prompt when iCloud enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000 & GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
File sharing between MacPro & Hackintosh - no authentication prompt when iCloud enabled

One of the more puzzling issues I uncovered while testing my newly built Hackintosh has me a bit concerned regarding security.

When I initiate Apple Share AFP connections from my 2008 Mac Pro to my newly built Hackintosh - I am not given any authentication prompts for username and password. Immediately revealed are all the Hackintosh's mounted drives! I could access them all without a password.

This has never happened to me before using all Apple equipment (for instance, connecting my Mac Pro to my Mac Mini always prompts me for user name and password).

Upon further inspection I found that the culprit is iCloud. For some reason when iCloud is enabled on the Hackintosh, it allows file sharing without authentication with my other Macs (I have iCloud enabled on all my devices to synchronize only Safar bookmarks).

Unlike the other computers, only the Hackintosh allows file sharing without authentication when iCloud is enabled. As soon as I sign off from iCloud on the Hackintosh, I am again presented with the expected authentication dialog prompts when trying to connect to it from the other computers.

Has anyone else experienced this and is it something to be alarmed about? NOTE that I DO NOT have Back To my Mac enabled on any of my computers and have never used it (only Safari synching on iCloud is enabled). Also note that when I set my firewall (DoorStop) on the Hackintosh to deny all or specific connections, this works and no access from the other computers is given.

I have exactly the same network, file sharing, and iCloud settings on my Mac Mini and it always prompts me for user authentication before allowing file sharing. Is the lack of such authentication from the Hackintosh standard behavior, or a security flaw?

Bump.

Anyone have any thoughts on this at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back