Contribute
Register

File server, HTPC, or NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you leave computers off when not in use then the best option is a low powered quiet server build that you leave on. iTunes requires that a Mac is running for the address of the iTunes library. Now computer on then no address for iTunes. The server option will also work with Apple TV and I think that I am right in saying that you can now control all this through an iOS device.

There are exceptions to this, Sonos can be run from a NAS without having a computer on as you give Sonos the NAS address. The downside is having to buy all the Sonos gear.

I would go with the server option as it has the ability of doing audio and video files as well as being used for backups/storage etc. I know that you are also itching to build one anyway :thumbup:

Adrian B

I would go with the server option as it has the ability of doing audio and video files as well as being used for backups/storage etc. I know that you are also itching to build one anyway :thumbup:

Oh Adrian. You really know how to cut to the core of me... ;)

Yeah, looks like I'll need another machine. Now the question becomes... buy a used Mac Mini for about $450, or build a Hack Server for a bit more...

Oh Adrian. You really know how to cut to the core of me... ;)

Yeah, looks like I'll need another machine. Now the question becomes... buy a used Mac Mini for about $450, or build a Hack Server for a bit more...

Where is the fun in buying something, when you can create, tinker, improve and update your own creation ;)

After all, just how many hard drives can you fit in a Mac Mini? On a serious note (just for a minute) Wildwillow - a moderator did some testing of Hack video playback with HD4000 graphics, using iTunes a couple of weeks ago that you may want to check out before making the final choice.

I'll see if I can find it and post a link back here later on.

Adrian B

Adrian what does that hav to do with what he wants it for? Thats an issues with playing iTunes content on the hack not the ATV. If he sets up iTunes and links it to the ATV, the ATV won't have playback issues.

Correct ATV is good to go.

Adrian what does that hav to do with what he wants it for? Thats an issues with playing iTunes content on the hack not the ATV. If he sets up iTunes and links it to the ATV, the ATV won't have playback issues.

Oops - I used the description of streaming video - my bad - will edit offending comment.

The intention of my comment was that if he should choose to have his build connected to a TV to playback iTunes video content. I was making him aware of the situation upfront. If he decides that it is for audio only in two zones as he suggested earlier then its not an issue.

Anyone else viewing this thread can follow that. The thread title is "File server, HTPC or NAS?", I was giving options for using video and audio. He is perfectly free to discount this info as surplus to requirements. No harm done.

Adrian B

C'mon Tyler, you can admit it. This is a safe place.

You're on commission, aren't you? ;)

Okay, so if I'm reading right, a NAS along with Apple TV will do the trick?

Haha! Yeah if I had a nickle for every person I've converted to Apple I'd have a s*** load of nickles.

But you don't have to have your computer or itunes account to use the appleTV. Just your iphone or iPad and you can play anything that's on it. You want an itunes account to use certain features like buying movies and shows, but all you need is a wired or wireless network. You don't even need an internet connection. I bring my AppleTV and airport extreme on deployments to set up a little network. Easy way to stream stuff to the tv and speakers. For me I buy all my content and icloud syncs everything on my stuff over wifi. If you have some sort of crazy t*****t habbit where you have Terabytes of music and movies that you need to have at your fingertips at all times then yes it may be time to look for a server.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he just want to be able to sit down and browse his collection on his ATV like I do with no need for any other device except his ATV remote. Even with and iPad or iPhone where r u getting the videos from? Do you store them on your iDevice?

My video collection is over 6TB so that would be some killer iDevice lol

Just as a side note, ATV does not work with a NAS sorry it has no way of even seeing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back