Contribute
Register

Few non-technical questions from a noob that will help to hack mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo
CPU
Graphics
ati
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help a 'soon to be a hackintosh user' with some issues I can't find answers to. A while ago I tried to install Snow Leopard on my Thinkpad T400 but that was not a good idea as the laptop seems to be totally incompatible. Decision has been made and I will be making an attempt to install Mountain Lion on my desktop (I found DSDT file for my MoBo already). Now as this intend to be my main system questions are piling up. Most of them I can easily find answers to but those below are a big mystery to me :)
1. Will I be able to use the system as if it was "a real Mac"? Or like I use Windows now? Will updates, app store work?
2. I have chosen to install Mountain Lion (because of its cool features like the notification center etc) but I can't seem to find this system anywhere outside the Apple App Store. How do I install it then? Do I need to get Lion first?
3. Is there a risk that an update can "damage" the system forcing me to use iBoot and Multibeast to fix it?
4. Should I maybe start with Snow Leopard first as it seems to be easiest to deal with?

1. Yes it will work like a real Mac. App Store will work. Updates should go fine but you may need to reinstall the audio drivers after an update.

2. You will need Snow Leopard first if you don't have access to another Mac or Hackintosh to download Mountain Lion. There is an install guide on this site you can use.

3. Its possible but unlikely if your motherboard is fully supported.

4. You only need to start with snow Leopard if you don't have a Mac or Hackintosh to download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

Thanks, that helps a lot. One more thing, I want this hackintosh legal, well sort of - AFAIK installing OSX on a non Apple machine is a breach of licence but not the law as I intend to purchase my own licence. But do I need to buy Snow Leopard just to then get the Mountain Lion? I have access to SL disc and don't mind paying for ML but would prefer not to pay for both versions (but I will if I have to).

You will need to buy Snow Leopard only if you don't have access to another computer to download ML.

So I can get ML free of charge as an upgrade to Snow Leopard? Just trying to understand how things work. Thanks.

So I can get ML free of charge as an upgrade to Snow Leopard? Just trying to understand how things work. Thanks.

No. It is $19.99 from Mac App Store.

Right, so back to my question then, do I need to buy Snow Leopard then providing I can borrow disc from a friend and then purchase ML? Or do I need to buy both to be 100% legal?

Right, so back to my question then, do I need to buy Snow Leopard then providing I can borrow disc from a friend and then purchase ML? Or do I need to buy both to be 100% legal?

Sounds like you're asking for legal advice. I'm not an attorney and I suspect the same for most people on this board.

Easiest way is to avoid the SL install and go direct to ML by borrowing a friend's Mac to log into your AppleID account on Mac App Store to download ML and create Unibeast USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back