Contribute
Register

FCPX transcoding for eternity (i7 4790k, GTX 750ti) - CPU power management the culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
FCPX transcoding for eternity (i7 4790k, GTX 750ti)

Hi, I am using FCPX and am noticing a huge improvement all over with my editing coming from a Mac Mini 2012 which obviously only has integrated graphics. One thing I have noticed though, videos that would take about 5 minutes to export on the Mac Mini are taking for eternity on my PC. I have background rendering turned off, as I always prefer selecting all and then telling it to render, I have always used H.264 for exporting so I am using that option. I do not use optimised media as from how it worked on the Mac Mini, I just never had any need to as the hiccups it had was only because I had limited graphics power, which isn't the case now. My videos are 1080p Elgato HD/ShadowPlay recordings which I usually am putting to average 20 minute episodes. It took under 5 minutes on the Mac Mini, and it should be far quicker with the hardware differences.

I read that the culprit could possibly be the GPU with the Nvidia alternative drivers, but switching it to OS X's default driver doesn't change anything. The other culprit I guess is the CPU which I would believe a lot more is the culprit as when it is exporting, I cannot here the CPU and fans etc working at full speed like I can hear when it is when I am on windows. Every now, it has got stuck with shutting down, and sleep doesn't work as it freezes up when I start back up. I am assuming this means the CPU power management isn't working properly?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this as I seriously cannot stand having to keep it on to export for so long when it should be doing it even quicker than what my Mac Mini did.

Thanks
Jase

Installed the cuda utility thing from nvidia but that hasn't made a change. Reading that it highly is possibly the 750ti. Has anyone got this card working? I do plan on upgrading it in the future but it is a perfect card for me right now and if it worked then it would be brilliant.

After more looking have realised, Nvidia is clearly a no go for FCPX. So will get a r9 280x and actually sell my iMac which is still lying around xd. May also sell the Mac Mini as no point having it around when my Mum won't take full advantage from it and instead of selling the 750ti, build a mini atx pc for my mum with lower specs in return of a better gpu. Then at least she can have it upgraded when needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back