Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon VII
Hey all!

Just built my first one - Designare/i9-9900/Radeon VII/64gb RAM - Mojave10.14.6 - and I gotta say, it is sooooo satisfying. Thanks to all of you on this forum, especially @CaseySJ for the golden build. It really feels good to build my own tools!

I'm building exclusively for video editing, hence the pricey build. I almost use FCPX exclusively, with some AE occasionally. I've been looking through all these forums for days and I can't seem to find an up-to-date discussion of best practices for FCPX.

Right now I am running in headless mode, because I know FCPX likes the iGPU. But, is that costing me the performance of the Radeon VII on exports?

Bruce5k @prores 4:2:2 is about 14 sec. I've seen people get to 7-8 seconds, and it seems like they have disabled the iGPU. But, does that cost me performance in the FCPX timeline, which seems to like the iGPU best?

I guess I just want to discuss what the best way to configure this system is? Do I have to prioritize export actions (dGPU) or timeline renders (iGPU), or is there a way to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks for helping a new guy out. This is a great forum, and I look forward to the point where I can help other people along as well.

Attachments

• EFI_12_26_19.zip
    21.3 MB · Views: 53
Just in case anyone is following this, I disabled IGPU in Bios and Bruce5k is about 9 seconds now.

I still have an interesting Memory Leak though, on importing files. Once I begin an import, I can watch the RAM usage in my Activity monitor spike to 160GB. Basically, FCPX eats up all physical ram and all of my page file, and then the computer freezes. This has ONLY happened after I IMPORT.

FCPX 10.4.8 - Mojave 10.14.6View attachment 448417
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 10.12.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 10.12.29 AM.png

Love to know if this is happening to anyone else.

How did you set up the headless mode? I have your same build (-32gb ram). I have a successful boot but Final Cut pro crashes when I launch it. And the render time in Resolve is overwhelming :S

How did you set up the headless mode? I have your same build (-32gb ram). I have a successful boot but Final Cut pro crashes when I launch it. And the render time in Resolve is overwhelming :S
I was JUST looking at this today, and I think my headless mode is all effed up as well.

right now, I’m in the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS with iGPU disabled in the BIOS. But I’ve been reading today that one of the Xeon based SMBIOS (IMac Pro 1,1 or Mac Pro 5,1 or 6,1) might be better because those don’t have any expectations for using the iGPU for driving graphics.

I did manage to figure out that my memory leak in FCPX happens only upon opening the Import dialogue, and happens regardless of whether or not I actually try to import something.

still looking for help on the best way to organize my GPU situation. But FCPx definitely opens and runs pretty well.

what does the crash look like? Does it just give you a spinning beachball when you try to open FCPX, or does it open halfway and then “crash”?

also - just glad to have someone to compare notes with! Thanks for responding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back