Contribute
Register

FCPX H.264 exports taking 3-4x longer than what my Mac Mini took?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I recently replaced my GTX 750Ti with a MSI Twin Frozr R9 280X 6G as I use FCPX and did not realise that Nvidia would be so bad with FCPX. I ran the BruceX benchmark and got a result of 15 seconds so I know that it is certainly making use of the GPU perfectly.

I am so confused as I have always on my Mac Mini (2012 i7 2.6ghz) exported with H.264 and it literally took less than 5 minutes to export a average 20 minute length 30fps project which would then be average a 2.5gb file. I am recording a lot now in 60fps so it's obvious that what I record in 60fps is going to take double the time but for the videos that are recorded and exported in 30fps, those average same 20 minute 30fps projects are taking around an hour to export. This is really confusing me. ProRes 422 is exporting flawlessly, as fast as what H.264 was taking on my Mac Mini. When I tried that I then tried using Mpeg Streamclip to convert it using H.264, but that was taking no less time than Final Cut so I am not sure if it is even a Final Cut problem at all.

On my Mac Mini I never used optimised media as I just didn't need to and I had my render, project location etc on my ssd and then my original recordings/exported files on my 5400rpm 2tb hdd. I am using precisely the same setup on my PC as I did on the Mac Mini and I thought it would smash my Mac Mini's time because of having a dedicated GPU. I also tried Compressor but that was even slower. This is really confusing me and it's not helping me on doing my original 2 videos a day schedule on YouTube lol. Does anyone have any ideas what is effecting this?

Thanks, Jase

Been reading throughout this thread and when came to Battuta's post saying about the quicktime h.264 accelerator in the Intel 4600 chip, I am assuming this is what made exports so fast on the Mac Mini which had Intel HD 4600 graphics? I have my 4600 graphics disabled on my PC as obviously I am wanting to use the GPU not the integrated graphics. Does the 280X have this and if so I am guessing OS X for some reason isn't using it?

Right, have just tested by setting my primary device to the HD 4600 so that it uses the intergated graphics. Tested Final Cut, and guess what, a video that took over 10 minutes to export exported in seconds. So this is most certainly a issue with h.264 on the AMD card. I am happy on having the hd 4600 enabled but I like having both my monitors in my gpu plus it shows up that both monitors are on the hd 4600 even though one is on the 280X.

Experimented a little more by enabling inject ATI in clover configurator. This makes the 280X display as a 280X in the system info window instead of Radeon 7xxx, but the HDMI port will then not work. There is a speed boost from the looks of it with h.264, but nothing incredible compared to using HD 4600. Really confusing me this and annoying too as I want to use the 280X and not be limited by what the 4600 is able to achieve but I just don't have space for prores and I don't have time for H.264 to take hours on end which is going to take hours on end anyway even if I use Mpeg Streamclip to do it instead.

There's nothing wrong with your 280X. BruceX benchmark doesn't represent real-world performances, even the creator of the test admits that.

Intel iGPUs have support for Quicksync technology which helps with export times a lot.

Check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

I have a rMBP with Intel Iris Pro and a Hackintosh with GTX 780. Obviously the GTX 780 is a lot faster for gaming but in FCPX, the same 1080p project that takes 8-9 minutes to export on Hackintosh with the 780, only takes 3 minutes on the Macbook with the Intel Iris Pro.

I managed to eventually find that out about Quicksync lol. I have to set my boot device to the IGP so that both the 280x and intel graphics are seen by OS X. All am trying to work out now is how to get things like Photoshop to see my AMD gpu than just the intel graphics lol. Annoying that most applications aren't seeing it with intel graphics as first boot device so it gets seen in OS X, as OS X can see the amd card as that's what my monitors are on, but applications can't defeating the purpose I even got it the 280x xd. Would of stuck with the 750ti if I knew I realised I could just do this, but then even still, at least it makes gaming that much better xd. And at least it is there if I need any stronger than the intel graphics when editing, though I am going to have to keep changing the boot device for those time :L

Rog stic z370-f gaming
i7-8700
Rx580
M.2 Ssd

But FCPX very slow render and export .1 hour project taking 3 hours for export. Help me

Rog stic z370-f gaming
i7-8700
Rx580
M.2 Ssd

But FCPX very slow render and export .1 hour project taking 3 hours for export. Help me
Did u enabled iGPU in BIOS? also u have to put -disablegfxfirmware flag in config.plist as well as some other things like changing ig-platform, etc.. There is a comprehensive tutorial easy to find on google. I can't paste a link here.
I struggled too, but now it works perfect, it even fixed my sleep/wake issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back