Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

I'm just getting into a little bit video editing and I'm running my hackintosh for over a year now and video editing wasn't a thing to think about when I built it..until now. So I'm using a Nvidia card, 1070.

Is it normal, that my FCPX export times are that bad compared to Premiere Pro? I'm not a pro, so I don't know If I compare it correctly.

4k test video filmed from an iPhone: 4k30fps, 5:26 minutes.

FCPX 1080p: 16:32 minutes
FCPX 4k: 60 minutes at 98% and then I had to leave.

Premiere Pro 1080p: 6:10 minutes
Premiere Pro 4K: 16:06 minutes

Settings I used

In Premiere Pro: youtube 1080p/4k preset
In FCPX: Master file with 1080p/4k h.264 better quality (couldn't change anything besides the resolution)

One thing I noticed while exporting, when I export with FCPX my CPU load ist about ~50%only. When I export with with Premiere Pro tho it's at 80-90%. Could it be that my CPU isn't recognized fully in FCPX and thats why it takes so long?

FCPX has faster render times and export times if using the right video card. Try an AMD card, they are much faster than nvidia by a long shot. A R9 280x will beat most nvidia cards in FCPX. They just now have the RX 480 8GB cards working with hackintosh's, look into that. But if FCPX isn't a full time thing for you a Sapphire R9 280x 3GB from ebay for less than $140 is an easy upgrade compared to what you have now. Or if you have enough power supply juice get two! Or stick with with Adobe and your nvidia card. It really comes down to nvidia=adobe, AMD=FCPX, that is if you want need fast render and export times.

Thanks for answering I know that AMD cards are better for FCPX. What makes me curious about it is the export time of 4k.

How can it be, that 1080p is only ~10 minutes slower in FCPX compared to Premiere. But 4k is more than 5 times slower? I don't think it's related to the graphic card. My Friend is using a 1060 and he don't have this problem but we don't know what the cause of the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back