Contribute
Register

FCPX & Compressor - Create Disc (Application Not Responding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Need help figuring this problem out. First-time Hackintosh build. Hardware specs:

Mobo: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU: I7-6700K
CPU Cooler H60
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 Corsair Hydro Series High Performance
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter
Case Fan: Noctua SSO2 Bearing, Retail Cooling NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM

Followed Jerivalu’s Build for Multibeast config since I had same Mobo and Processor.

OS X 10.11.4, Combo Update to 10.11.6

Configured Multibeast with:

• Quick Start > UEFI Boot mode
• Drivers > Audio > Realtek > 100 series audio
• Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150
• Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d0
• Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit
• Customize > Graphics Config > Intel HD 530
• Customize > System Definition > Imac > Imac 17,1

In FCPx (version 10.1.2 and 10.2.3), when Sharing to DVD, Output to Hard drive (image, not physical optical media), the Create Disc app works after the first share, but becomes unresponsive and will not create the DVD image after the first instance. Sometimes it works up to third or fourth consecutive instance, but usually becomes unresponsive after the first instance. Restart of Hackintosh revolves issue, but problem happens again after first instance of Sharing to DVD.

First instance of Create Disc app shows animation of the icon in the Dock. Subsequent instances of Create Disk app are no animation in Dock and cursor changes to beachball.

Same thing happens in Compressor (version 4.2.2) when using the “Create DVD” option and choosing output as Hard Drive, not actually burning to physical optical media. Create Disc app becomes unresponsive after 1st instance.

All project clips are of the same source and duration, just each project is labeled as Test 1, Test 2, Test 3, etc., for the purpose of troubleshooting. I just duplicate the original project. Obviously there is nothing wrong with the projects, as at least the first project is able to be shared using the DVD option in both FCPx and Compressor. Same identical projects Share to DVD image fine on genuine Macbook Air, no problems with Create Disc app. I can duplicate the original project 20 times on the Macbook Air and Share to DVD is always flawless.

I have tried to eliminate Hackintosh hardware culprits as best I can. I physically removed the following items from my Hackintosh:

Video card (Sapphire R9 280X), removed from PCIe, using only mobo IGFX
Wi-Fi card (removed from PCIe)
Optical Drive (unplugged SATA cable)
Removed all 64GB of Ram and tried only 1x 16GB stick, replacing each of the remaining sticks in slot 1 after the Create Disk app became unresponsive.

No change in symptoms.

Performed 18 hour 4/4 full suite of MemTest86 with no errors.

Changed System definition from iMac Imac 17,1 to Imac 14,2

No change in symptoms.

Realized I was still using old FCPx, 10.1.2. Upgraded to 10.2.3 from App Store.

No change in symptoms.

Installed Onxy for El Capitan. Performed full sweep including Repair Disk Permissions.

No change in symptoms.

Wiped boot drive and reinstalled OS X 10.11.4 from Unibeast. Did NOT Combo Update this time, just left it at 10.11.4. Configured Multibeast differently this time as:

• Quick Start > UEFI Boot mode
• Drivers > Audio > Realtek > 100 series audio
• Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150
• Customize > System Definition > Imac > Imac 17,1

Installed FCPX 10.2.3.

No change in symptoms.

PLEASE HELP! I’M STUCK! I built this Hackintosh to be a FCPx machine and it is failing at the one task I NEED it to do. I know not many people use DVD in this day and age, but I was hoping someone could test Share to DVD (image only) on their FCPx Hackintosh and let me know how it goes. Maybe there is a bug in OS X, or maybe I just have this Hackintosh misconfigured?

MANY thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solved! But I cant say how without violating the rules.

Multiple (5 consecutive) tests of DVD sharing my project to hard drive image in both FCPx 10.2.3 and Compressor 4.2.2 were good, flawless, just as they were on the Air. ;)

Last edited:
Nope. It's doing it again as of this morning. Create Disc app not responding. It's also doing it now on my Air. I'm officially done with FCPx. Can't burn a disc image, in the year 2016? Are you serious? Nope. I'm DONE with FCPx. It's too bad, because it used to work fine for me in the past (2012-2013). I was always happy with the quality of it's mpeg2 output and it was simple enough to create in-app with just a few keyboard strokes to export.

I understand since I last had this great experience with FCPx and Compressor, they were using a different version of Create Disc app, and from what I've read, it was recently updated with the new versions of FCPx and Compressor. It almost looks to me like it has been intentionally crippled by Apple in attempts to force users to get away from anything to do with optical media or blu-ray or DVD. That is just my own conspiracy theory though.

Downloading trial of Avid Media Composer now. Maybe its time to learn something new. Though that subscription price is pretty steep. Does anyone have any other recommendations for NLE in OS X besides Media Composer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back