Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte Z97V-UD5H
CPU
I7
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX 970
Hi community, I use fcpx with 4k video. I just installed a gtx970 and the gain is minimum compared to the internal GPU. The R9 280x we tried to instal never worked (XFC brand) I'm a little disappointed. I would like to have fcpx work fluidly with a filter or two on in real time. Maybe I need another gtx970?

Thanks for your advices

PS: I have a ssd sytem and a raid 0 for files, I even tried a ssd for file, doesn't change anything

Hi community, I use fcpx with 4k video. I just installed a gtx970 and the gain is minimum compared to the internal GPU. The R9 280x we tried to instal never worked (XFC brand) I'm a little disappointed. I would like to have fcpx work fluidly with a filter or two on in real time. Maybe I need another gtx970?

Thanks for your advices

PS: I have a ssd sytem and a raid 0 for files, I even tried a ssd for file, doesn't change anything

The R9 280x should blow the the GTX970 out of the water. That said some people have problems with XFX cards with OSX. I would try a different brand. That said what did you try when with the 280x? Like ati graphics inject etc....

Thanks for your advices

The problem here is that Apple's video editing apps - FCPX and iMovie - use OpenCL. Nvidia GPUs are great for OpenGL, but not for OpenCL. AMD's GPUs are great for OpenCL, but not so much for OpenGL. That's why gamers, especially on OS X, use Nvidia GPUs and video editors often choose AMD. If you want to use an Nvidia GPU for video editing, you'll need Adobe Premiere. But if you want to use FCPX, you should use an AMD GPU. Unfortunately, this means that if you want to use your Hackintosh for gaming and video editing, you'll probably have to swap out cards depending on what you want to do.

By the way, I have a GT 740, and the AMD R7 250x, which is in the same price bracket (last time I checked), and the AMD card is twice as fast as my Nvidia card at OpenCL for the same price. Also, OpenCL is the Open Compute Library while OpenGL is the Open Graphics Library.

Last edited:
For info Final Cut Pro X Use the GPU where the monitor is plagued into !!
Final Cut Pro always use the same GPU for display and compute
Resolve prefers to have separate GPUs for display and compute

Il you want to use both CUDA and OpenCL software, I would recommend Nvidia GTX 780ti (second hand : best bargain) or GTX 980ti. They have a pretty decent OpenCL power ( like an AMD sapphire R9 280x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back