7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
FCPX 10.0.6 optimized build (UPDATED)

UPDATED with swapped video card (44% speed boost for $9 more) and CPU cooler (very bad review on original cooler)

Thanks for a great site and community. I'm a noob to Hackintosh or any computer building, and, after owning or working on more than a dozen Macs since a 512Ke purchased in 1985, I've decided to build. Just about anything will be a step up as I'm working on a 2009 iMac 9,1 now.

Goals:
System optimized for Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6
Under $1,500 (including monitor)
Solid and hassle-free performer
Connectivity to current and future drives and devices (Firewire 400, 800; USB2, 3; Thunderbolt).

After reading many articles and posts here and on other sites I ordered parts Friday:
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (was Rosewill ROCC-12001)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video: MSI GTX 650 Ti Power Edition (was EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650)
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
SSD: SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III
HD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner
Firewire: SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

The GeForce GTX 650 video card appears to be compatible but is nowhere near the top of the heap. I wasn't able to discern the best bang for the buck for FCP 10.0.6 from the resources I found and elected to conserve cash until I know more.

Advice, warnings and other insights are most welcome. A son-in-law who works in IT and has built dozens of PCs is helping me with the build.

USB issues in FCPX 10.0.6 optimized build

I'm a noob to this forum and Hackintosh so please bear with me a bit.

So far I've managed to get to the install screen with just the mobo and processor, no graphics card or other PCI cards. But when the choose language screen comes up all the USB ports, including a 2-port USB 2.0 adapter to the mobo, no longer function and I lose mouse and keyboard control.

I've read the threads on the z77x-up4 th and USB 3 but, being such a noob who speaks English rather than IT, I'm lost and have seen too many threads with no answers.

I'm unemployed and trying to build a video editing machine so I can feed my family.

Any suggestions that might help me move ahead will be greatly appreciated.

Plug the keyboard/mouse/USB drive all into the blue colored USB ports on the back.

I had the same problem. For some reason or another, USB 2.0 doesn't play nice until the OS is installed

Scratch that, I have the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, I should have read closer.. With the board you have only certian USB ports will work. Try plugging, unplugging the keyboad and mouse into different ports and see if any of the other ones work. The USB port your USB drive is in is working, try the slots around it.

per - http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/62346-comparison-gigabyte-ivy-bridge-boards.html
The UD3H and the UP4 TH have 6 USB2 ports on internal headers and a VIA chip powering an additional 4 USB3 ports on the back panel.

Try powering the USB 2.0 adapter on different headers on the motherboard.. it is also good to make sure it is plugged in the right way. The VIA controller is what is causing you grief..

Just got the system to install and boot from my SSD after going back to bios and changing xHCI to disabled, turning all USB ports to 2.0, I think. Now I'm going to try run MultiBeast. Maybe that will be just as much fun.

My video editing Hackintosh, with an i7 3770K CPU on a GA Z77X-UP4 TH mother board, has been running straight and true for almost a week, including several days of occasionally intense Final Cut Pro X (10.0.6) editing – mostly compositing and titles. Rendering that took several minutes on my iMac 9,1 now take about twice as many seconds. I've already almost forgotten the three weeks of hair-pulling frustration that ended with a vague understanding of kexts, bios and kernel panics.

I have a few thoughts for any other non-IT folks embarking on their own build:
  • If I can do it, you can do it.
  • Check component compatibility carefully, the Buyer's Guide is a great place to start. Don't rush component choices to make a sale deadline. Even better, find a Golden Build that's close to what you want to achieve and build that one.
  • If you feel compelled to pioneer, be ready for some frustration but be patient and answers will come.
  • No matter how carefully you choose components, something beyond your control will require adjustments, often for the better.
  • Take notes on bios and Multibeast settings so you can backtrack and report accurately.
  • Plan to spend way more time reading on this forum than actually building and setting up your Hackintosh, at least 10:1.
  • Be patient and compromising with the language barrier. Look up terms you don't understand before asking for a plain language translation. Sometimes there isn't one.

The Activity page of TonyMacX86 is my new browser startup page. I hope to see a fix for the USB 3.0 issue on the GA Z77X-UP4 TH mother board soon, but until then I'll have a go at overclocking the i7 3770K CPU and MCI GTX 650 Ti PE graphics card so I can trade a few more seconds of editing for time with the grandkids.

Thanks for all the support and insight offered at TonyMacX86.com.

The details (all working except USB 3):
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH (My biggest regret is not upgrading to the UP5)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
Video: MSI GTX 650 Ti Power Edition (Great bargain video card if you're not a big gamer)RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
SSD: OSX boot drive - SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III
HD
: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner
Firewire: SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh 23" LED/IPS HDMI
Total cost: $1,370

How is FCPX running? Have you upgraded to 10.0.7? I want to build something very soon but am nervous as I don't want to do it and it not work with the latest FCPX and Motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back