Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everybody...
Using PT10/Adobe Production Premium 5.5/Final Cut Studio 3/Lots of audio and video plug-ins on MacBook Pro 2.2 Santa Rosa.
Need to make change for obvious reasons
Please keep me posted as I am thinking about going the Hackintosh route.

Thanks

gary

I'm in a similar boat - currently using FCP7/CS5.5 on a 12 Core Mac Pro. Quit my job to become a stay at home dad but still want an editor and was thinking Hackintosh. In another thread on this board I asked what notebook to go with for the best FCP experience and was told that there really isn't a great option. I was told the HP Probook 4530s is the best supported laptop by the Hackintosh community, but that it really is perfect and that I should reconsider sticking with a MacBook Pro for complete compatibility. Needless to say, I am greatly disappointed as a a fully loaded MBP will cost 2-2.5x more than an equivalently equipped Wintel machine.

Now I'm thinking about doing a desktop with a Gigabyte motherboard - those are supposed to be a much better Mac clone with more complete support from the community.

I'm interested to see what you've found in your research. We may end up going in similar directions.

I've been using my hackie for around 6 months now for video editing and this thing has been running smoother than my 2008 Mac Pro that I have running down at my workplace. If you're considering building a hackintosh, build a hackintosh.

Check out my specs on the left; that's a perfect build for my editing needs.

Good luck!

when Apple failed to release a new macpro tower
i got pissed off and invested myself in the hackintosh route

its a beast once you get it going

dual-booting 2 partitions
one with fcp7
and the other with fcpX

So far it kicks ass

its a beast once you get it going

dual-booting 2 partitions
one with fcp7
and the other with fcpX

So far it kicks ass

could you reveal your set up? Im trying to create a FCP possibly MC6 dual boot

yeah, forgot to update my profile with the new site

Lion 10.7.4 setup

gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H [f8]
intel i7-3770K
16GB ram [G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Sapphire 6870
SYBA Add-On Card for FW800
USB3.0 memory card reader
[4] 1tb WD blacks

Took me a while to figure out this one, so I'm gonna wait a while before heading to ML
ALthough its running so well that I dont see the need to upgrade anytime in the future.

I spent 350€ on the following parts about a year ago and I'm editing smoothly ever since:

GA-P55-UD5
i7 860
8GB Ram
Nexus cooler
NEC USB3 card

Then added the following:

75€ for an ASUS 5750
100€ for Arctic define R3 = super quiet and the least ugly PC case on the market.
50€ for Be Quiet L8 430W modular power supply
110€ for 1TB Caviar Black
50€ for Samsung 64GB 830 Series

Total:
735€

The GA-P55-UD5 includes 10 SATA ports so you can hook up a bunch of disks.
The fun thing is that you can upgrade parts over time. At first I only spent about 400€ and ran it in an old case with an old PSU.

Also bear in mind that a lot of pro software like Protools 9 (and 7,8) is not compatible (yet) with 10.8
10.6.8 is still the way to go for a lot of things. It's the best release for pro's before apple began including game center bull****.

I'm also in the process of ditching FCP7 I'm looking at Premiere Pro at the moment but it lacks some things. Avid MC is also an option but I'm not a fan of it...

Cheers,
K.

Hi Im using a basic set up. For final cut 7 its far better than the santarosa i was on (well...) and the quad MacPro 2.6, but the playback in the canvas is a little choppy, however, Im only using the onboard HD4000. Although I have been told it should be fine. Other than that its super fast reliable what more could you ask for.

I have a friend who wants to build a X79 based Hackintosh for video-anyone had experience of that with the xenon or 8 core i7?

I did the exact same thing. I'll never turn back. My Adobe CS6 is lightning fast with my 12 threads and GTX 570. Final Cut is a little buggy with Lion, but compressors sores with 12 threads in Quemaster!! I love my hacky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back