Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just spent a few hours evaluating some recent Linux releases and have been mightily impressed how far things have come.

Last time I used Linux was on a conventional HDD, so installing to SSD - or even running from a fast USB flash-drive - is a sea-change.

I tested Mint, Ubuntu and Elementary OS.

Of course I was looking for macOS similarity - which underpins Elementary for example. It's dock is very nice to use and the overall theme is quite mac-like.

Mint is more comprehensive.

Favourite was Ubuntu 18. Even though the devs don't push it I found using it very intuitive for a Mac die-hard like me.

Very encouraging.

Anyone else have any thoughts or recent experience?

:)

I pretty much stick to Ubuntu or its derivatives simply because of the volume of articles/help available. The big name Linux distros often have more than one option for the GUI and the significant difference between Windows and OSX GUI's for me, is where the active windows menu bar sits (at the top of the screen or the top of the window) - I think I liked MATE when I last played with Mint for that reason (menu bar on top of screen) but I think not all programs were able to make use of that Mac like program menu.

Yes, there's been a lot of work done to make the various GUIs attractive and useful to Mac or Windows switchers. Elementary OS seems mac-like in that regard.

Last edited:
I'm out of touch, hence the testing I did. "Back in the day" I used SUSE instead of Red Hat on PC hardware. They seemed to be sparring-partners then. Oh, and Debian of course.

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of evaluating a complete move to Linux. Whatever distro you end up going with, definitely check out KDE plasma as your desktop. I personally think it’s the most fully featured GUI I’ve tried (and, with a bit of tweaking, the closest to OSX)

At first install it looks eerily like Windows 10, but it is so customizable that you can basically turn it into macOS. I’ve been loving it.

In a lot of ways I actually like KDE more than OS X. I have more control and there are a lot of built in features that you don’t get out of the box on OS X. There’s a whole infrastructure of widgets and “plasmoids” that extend the functionality of the interface, and the Dolphin File Manager is sleek, highly configurable, and has built in gems like an optional split view in the finder window, and a typeable directory path bar (also optional). Other than Mac Finder’s Quick Look, which I thought I’d miss more - and Dolphin File Managers preview settings get you pretty close - I’ve been able to pretty easily reproduce pretty much all of OSX’s GUI magic (including all of the functions you’ve come to expect from expose). I guess the one other thing that’s missing is a file tagging system but I haven’t found anything in Linux that adiquately does this yet.

What I ended up doing was going with Kubuntu as my distro- it of course is Ubuntu - so you get the wide userbase, it’s also officially recognized by Canonical - but with KDE desktop installed instead of Gnome. I played around with the standard Ubuntu for a long time and enjoyed it, but in the end, KDE brought me so much closer to the actual OS X experience.

Here’s the article that started me on my journey towards customizing it:

Last edited:
From the small group-test I did I began to realise that most Linux's were only user-friendly on a very superficial level. Some developers obviously trying to make their system appealing to 'switchers'. Others clearly didn't much care.

In all I tried, Quick-Look half-worked. Press the spacebar while a picture was selected and it gets viewed. Press again - ah, nothing. Had to manually close. No cursor-keying around either. Maybe standard Linux fare.

Also surprised how few Linux variants came with wireless drivers for Broadcom. Maybe it's not considered a common chipset. However the star of the bunch was Linux Mint. It did. All I had to do was enter the passkey and I was online. But others ... How was I to go online and download updates or drivers or install anything without a connection? Only by ethernet it seemed.

EL.jpg

Elementary OS

LM.jpg

Linux Mint 19 Mate​

The latter looks more "Windows"ey with the taskbar but is very Finder-like in operation.

Did try Zorin, openSUSE and Debian. Zorin apparently comes with a proper macOS-like theme among others, but you have to pay for that edition. The free one only has a Windows theme.

I only use Linux when I must. When I do use Linux, I use Linux Mint Mate as well.

On my Raspberry Pis, I just use Raspbian...

I really thought I was going to miss mac's Quick Look.

In my preliminary research, it seemed to be clear that there was no real replacement for it, currently, in the Linux world. There were, as the op found, a couple of "hit the space bar and get a preview" options in various file managers - but none that let you move through a directory the way mac can.

I can't speak for the other desktops but with KDE Plasma (I imagine that many of the others have something comparable) There is Gwenview which is almost as seamless. Once you double click on a single picture, the image opens in a browsing window and you can now easily browse, with your arrow keys, any of the other images in that directory, the way Quick Looks does. The difference is you now have a stand alone app open (although its a very lightweight, fast to open and close application). If you want to browse another folder, you can pretty fluidly navigate to it within Gwenview. You, also, can have multiple instances of it open and browse through several directories at once.

While it's not quite the same methodology as Quick Look, I'm finding it fills the function just as nicely - at least for my needs (and in some ways it's less annoying because, on a mac, as I am previewing an image, I frequently find myself unconsciously reaching to open something else and, ooops, Quick Look has followed me and I'm no longer looking at my photo - my own form of helplessness to be sure, but I do it all the time).

Gwenview.jpeg

The other piece that KDE does to help fill the void is the fact that, with its default Dolphin File Manager, you can get a large preview (and a wealth of other info if you choose) of your file in any view mode, even list view (which OS Finder does not give you - you have to be in the often hated Column view to get this). This preview changes as you browse. It works with video as well. A keyboard shortcut can toggle this big preview panel on and off.

DolphinFilemanager.jpeg

Out of the box, it doesn't look into documents the way Quick Look does but there are plugins for that. I just haven't gotten to them yet.

As for general file browsing and multitasking, I'm also finding KDE plasma to be an easier, less cumbersome experience then OSX. Once I learned the key shortcuts, the whole process of juggling windows has been, actually, more pleasant than on a Mac. (That said, I've recently discovered the Moom app for Mac, which helps a lot with window management, but I still am prefering Dolphin on Linux).
- One of my favorite things, so simple really, I don't have to have the mouse cursor on a corner of a window to scale, or on the title bar to move it. My cursor can be anywhere on the window, I just have to hold down ALT (ALT + RT MOUSE BUTTON to scale, ALT + LT MOUSE to move). I can't express in words how handy this tiny feature is for a window multitasker like myself. There is, of course, also, the expose-like present all windows, and toggle between all open tasks, keyboard shortcuts as well.

Anyway, while I guess I'm turning into a KDE fan-boy, I'll say this about my experience with Linux as a whole: Compared to Mac, there are a larger percentage of things that are not up and running out of the box (having everything just work is, of course, one of Mac's most defining, most ingenious qualities). However, with some additional tinkering, the functionality (and good looks) is there...and then some. What I appreciate (and this is why I think I was destined to be a Linux nerd) is the ability to make it my own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back