gtx670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,
I'm quite new to this and I'm looking into building a mac mini deluxe hackintosh around a Asrock Fatal1ty H270M in a bitfenix phenom.
I would use 7700k processor, 32g of ram and a GTX1060 ti.
I would need thunderbolt (for a Apollo Uaudio card) and two pcie, one for the video card and one for a UAD2 pcie processor which won't be happening with this compact motherboard.
As this model has only one pcie, I would alternatively use the building video output to keep the pcie for the UAD2.
I will be using a USB2 RME madi audio convertor and a Iconnect Mid2+ for iOS audio over usb with the apollo and therefore I will need to creat an aggregate device for audio. I will also be using an emagic AMT8.
I was reading the specifictations of the Fatal1ty H270 Performance and I see USB-c and on some reference Thunderbolt3, but not information regarding thunderbolt 2 compatibility and daisy chaining.
I have a few question regarding this setup:

Has anyone built a machine with this motherboard and are using thunderbolt?

Will the buildin video card work?

I could not find info regarding the rme madi usb but it seems most of the RME work. anyone has experienced with the RME madi Usb?

It seems Unitor8 was not working before, but I could not find info regarding the use on Sierra, as the AMT8 use the same drivers I guess it should be the same.

Alternatively is there any ITX card with more one pcie port and thunderbolt?

best
K

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm quite new to this and I'm looking into building a mac mini deluxe hackintosh around a Asrock Fatal1ty H270M in a bitfenix phenom.
I would use 7700k processor, 32g of ram and a GTX1060 ti.
I would need thunderbolt (for a Apollo Uaudio card) and two pcie, one for the video card and one for a UAD2 pcie processor which won't be happening with this compact motherboard.
As this model has only one pcie, I would alternatively use the building video output to keep the pcie for the UAD2.
I will be using a USB2 RME madi audio convertor and a Iconnect Mid2+ for iOS audio over usb with the apollo and therefore I will need to create an aggregate device for audio. I will also be using an emagic AMT8.
I was reading the specifications of the Fatal1ty H270 Performance and I see USB-c and on some reference Thunderbolt3, but not information regarding thunderbolt 2 compatibility and daisy chaining.
I have a few question regarding this setup:

Has anyone built a machine with this motherboard and are using thunderbolt?

Will the buildin video card work?

I could not find info regarding the rme madi usb but it seems most of the RME work. anyone has experienced with the RME madi Usb?

It seems Unitor8 was not working before, but I could not find info regarding the use on Sierra, as the AMT8 use the same drivers I guess it should be the same.

Alternatively is there any ITX card with more one pcie port and thunderbolt?

best
K

The ASRock Fatal1ty H270M Performance motherboard, if this is what you want, does NOT have Thunderbolt 3 on board. The USB-C port at the back does not support Thunderbolt connections. It does have Thunderbolt AIC (add in card) connectors, but you need a suitable Thunderbolt add in card if you want Thunderbolt, and I have no idea what cards can work.

The ASRock Fatal1ty H270M Performance motherboard, if this is what you want, does NOT have Thunderbolt 3 on board. The USB-C port at the back does not support Thunderbolt connections. It does have Thunderbolt AIC (add in card) connectors, but you need a suitable Thunderbolt add in card if you want Thunderbolt, and I have no idea what cards can work.

Thank you, I think I mixed up the H270 and the H270M specs.
best solution seems to use the gigabyte Z270N-Wifi for it.
But it seems a micro atx motherboard would be a better choice for my needs.
I have hard time finding one with working thunderbolt though, they all seem to carry only USB-c connector without the protocol.

Thank you, I think I mixed up the H270 and the H270M specs.
best solution seems to use the gigabyte Z270N-Wifi for it.
But it seems a micro atx motherboard would be a better choice for my needs.
I have hard time finding one with working thunderbolt though, they all seem to carry only USB-c connector without the protocol.

I don't think the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Wifi has Thunderbolt either. The USB-C port at the back of that board does not support Thunderbolt 3.

For Gigabyte current motherboards, the only ones that have Thunderbolt 3 on board, as far as I know, are:
GA-Z270X-Gaming 9
GA-Z270X-Gaming 8
GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (not K7)
GA-Z270X-UD5

They are all ATX motherboards.

Even if your motherboard has Thunderbolt 3 built in. Is it guaranteed to work with the OSx??

I don't think the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Wifi has Thunderbolt either. The USB-C port at the back of that board does not support Thunderbolt 3.

For Gigabyte current motherboards, the only ones that have Thunderbolt 3 on board, as far as I know, are:
GA-Z270X-Gaming 9
GA-Z270X-Gaming 8
GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (not K7)
GA-Z270X-UD5

They are all ATX motherboards.

Hey James, Can you confirm that these are the only motherboards that will support Thunderbolt 3? Tried searching on the forum and there seems to be no definite answer. Trying to find parts for an audio machine that requires thunderbolt for my audio card.

Thanks!

Hey James, Can you confirm that these are the only motherboards that will support Thunderbolt 3? Tried searching on the forum and there seems to be no definite answer. Trying to find parts for an audio machine that requires thunderbolt for my audio card.

Thanks!

As far as I know, the motherboards that I have listed are the only Gigabyte, current motherboards that have Thunderbolt 3 on board. I have not checked motherboards from other vendors.

Many other motherboards have a connector on board that can connect to a suitable Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (AIC) such as the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 (the Asus card is supposed to work with Asus motherboards of course). However, I have no idea whether these AICs, if you can find them, can work under MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back