Contribute
Register

Fast n cheap 4k Video Editors Build (not a hackintosh though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
Intel i7-2600K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You've probably seen this but it's new to me. I'm a casual hackintosh enthusiast, but this looks great value.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2017/03/21/building-an-insanely-powerful-4k-video-editing-pc-for-just-998/

But no OS X. :( I can see how Windows is gaining ground for video editors on a budget. I'm upgrading my old edit hackintosh, slowly... but I can't make these big jumps to new AMD chips - right?

Any other video editors out there with an opinion? I feel like the "economy" tide is turning toward moving to Windows, especially with Adobe Suite running on Mac/PC. I feel sad about that. How do other editors feel about it?

You've probably seen this but it's new to me. I'm a casual hackintosh enthusiast, but this looks great value.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2017/03/21/building-an-insanely-powerful-4k-video-editing-pc-for-just-998/

But no OS X. :( I can see how Windows is gaining ground for video editors on a budget. I'm upgrading my old edit hackintosh, slowly... but I can't make these big jumps to new AMD chips - right?
Until there are AMD chips in real Macs, no, you couldn't use that Ryzen 4K build as a CustoMac. Apple has no plans of switching from Intel CPUs at the current time. Their desktop business is such a small part of their total revenue that they could care less about saving a tiny amount of money (in the big picture) by going with Ryzen. They aren't going to buy AMD either. Their next big acquisition will be a media company like Netflix or Activision. With 250 billion in cash they could easily do that today if they wanted to open up their huge pocketbook.

If you can stand using Windows on a daily basis and use mostly Premiere Pro as your primary editing program, then go for it. If you mainly use FCP X then a hackintosh is a better choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back