Contribute
Register

[FAQ] READ FIRST! Laptop Frequent Questions

Your kextcache output shows serious problems you need to fix.
Hi many thanks. Would appreciate any pointers where to look - first time hackintosh for me :)

take care

Hi many thanks. Would appreciate any pointers where to look - first time hackintosh for me :)

take care

Refer to FAQ for correct kext installation procedures.
Start over with fresh install if needed.

Refer to FAQ for correct kext installation procedures.
Start over with fresh install if needed.
Hi done a fresh install on HS 10.13.3 - not sure if you saw the post. What I found was that the patch for GTX0 for IGPU stops the graphics kexts to be loaded. Without it the graphics load fine and there is no flicker. However without it there no on board audio (but there is with it enabled).

Attachments

• DSC_0840.JPG
    DSC_0840.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 228
Q. Can I still download El Capitan?

Yes.
Read here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Q. Can I still download Sierra?

Yes.
Read here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208202

[/QUOTE]

I have tried both of these and I am getting the same response from APPLE - from a 10.13 MAC

So how do I get this? I am wanting to try this with an older Core 2 Duo T8300 laptop with a 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

Thanks,
Grizz

RehabMan...

Because the Dell XPS Developer's Edition and System76 builds are laptops sold with Linux pre-installed, does that translate into a system which might be more friendly to OS X? There is a theory by a few UNIX die-hards I know that OS X and mainstream Linux are still considered close relatives rather than distant cousins, so they suggest these two laptops have hardware that is going to be much more friendly to OS X. Do you have any additional thoughts on this?

For sure the reverse is true - installing off-the-shelf Linux on a MacBook 5.1 required almost no tweaking - even the backlight functions worked on the first try.

Laptop Hackintoshing has proven to be fun, but much more difficult than I expected. I'm looking for another laptop to "try again" that might be less intimidating.

Thank You!
-andalusia

I am getting an error where the USB installer doesn't see my SSD drive but see the USB.

Question about working dedicated GPU answer. Guide says:

Not if the discrete card is not dedicated (eg. tied to the Intel device).

...but then.....

If your discrete device (AMD Radeon or Nvidia) is not routed through the Intel GPU, then it is considered dedicated.

Which is it? Tied to or not routed? Asking because I'm looking at a Dell XPS 15 9575 with Intel HD 630 and AMD RX Vega. Dell support does not tell me if it is. If the AMD gpu won't work in Hackintosh, there's no point in doing it.

Last edited:
Question about working dedicated GPU answer. Guide says:

<i>Not if the discrete card is not dedicated (eg. tied to the Intel device).</i>

...but then.....

<i>If your discrete device (AMD Radeon or Nvidia) is not routed through the Intel GPU, then it is considered dedicated.</i>

Which is it? Tied to or not routed? Asking because I'm looking at a Dell XPS 15 9575 with Intel HD 630 and AMD RX Vega. Dell support does not tell me if it is. If the AMD gpu won't work in Hackintosh, there's no point in doing it.
then you just use your Intel Graphics

Back