Contribute
Register

FAQ for OS X on 4530s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been suggested that I make and FAQ for questions which reoccur quite often. I agree.

These are the questions which have been answered.
  • What laptops are supported?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • Can I use one of the above laptops with a different wifi card then the Atheros 9285?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • Can I use one of the above laptops with a Radeon 6470m or 6490m?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • Can I use one of the above laptops with a different cpu then a Sandy Bridge?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • What exactly works, and what doesn't?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • What versions of OS X are supported?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • How do I install Lion?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • How do I install Snow Leopard?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • Where do I find the installer?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • My screen is black when I boot on battery, how do I fix that?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • Only the first four levels of my brightness work. How can I enable the rest?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • I have wifi drops or wifi doesn't work, what should I do?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • When I turn on the laptop, it gives me a message that I need to connect my keyboard and mouse. How do I get that to stop?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • What is the boot:0 error I am receiving?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • How can I update from a previous version of the installer?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • I just screwed up something... how can I try to get back in since it won't boot?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • I have no USB keyboard. Is there another option?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • What BIOS settings do I need to have?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • I have graphics glitches. What can I do for those?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • My laptop has the problem if I restart Lion, it always boots into PXE Network Boot. How do I get into Lion?[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • What is the battery life on OS X?[/*:m:28lymj4y]

What laptops are supported?

Any Sandy Bridge HP Probook 4230s, or 4330s, 4430s, 4530s, or 4730s. For full functionality you should have an Atheros 9285.

Can I use one of the above laptops with a different wifi card then the Atheros 9285?

Yes. However, it is not supported. We recommend that you follow this guide to replace it: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=35475

Can I use one of the above laptops with a Radeon 6470m or 6490m?

Yes, but it will have to be disabled in BIOS before the install as OS X will not support it. After you install one of the DSDT's, you can reenable it for use in Windows.

Can I use one of the above laptops with a different cpu then a Sandy Bridge?

No. We use the HD 3000 for graphics, which is only in the Sandy Bridge CPU's. However, the model that contains the other CPU supports upgrading, so you can just upgrade your CPU to a Sandy Bridge one and it should work.

What exactly works, and what doesn't?

Everything works except for a few things:
  • Bluetooth only works on cold boot (no restarts) and doesn't work after sleep[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • The trackpad doesn't have full gestures, just two finger scrolling. However, no hackintosh laptops have full gestures. Touch to drag is problematic also.[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • VGA is finicky[/*:m:28lymj4y]
  • External mic does not work[/*:m:28lymj4y]

What versions of OS X are supported?

10.6.8, 10.7.0, 10.7.1, and 10.7.2. All future releases of OS X will be supported as well.

How do I install Lion?

Follow guide here: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=41546

How do I install Snow Leopard?

Follow guide here: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=41547

Where do I find the installer?

The latest installer can always be found on the first post of the Lion install thread. Link to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=41546

My screen is black when I boot on battery, how do I fix that?

Well, you can turn it up by hitting fn and f3.

On boot, if you hit esc, it will enter BIOS. Here, turn it up with fn and f3, and then save the settings with F10 (I believe), and it will permanently eliminate this problem.

Only the first four levels of my brightness work. How can I enable the rest?

After your computer sleeps, you may notice it begins working. The best way to fix this is to set a hot corner to sleep your display. On boot, just knock your mouse up there, and you're good to go!

I have wifi drops or wifi doesn't work, what should I do?

You HAVE to have the Atheros 9285 for support from us. If you have it and it doesn't work, there are a few things that may need done.

Another thing which commonly fixes it is to go into system preferences and delete all the network items from the network area. Then add back ethernet and wifi and try again.

Also, you can try hitting the wifi button. It will adjust brightness, but it also powers wifi.

When I turn on the laptop, it gives me a message that I need to connect my keyboard and mouse. How do I get that to stop?

Hit alt + windows logo + esc and then force quit It. Then go to System Preferences/Bluetooth/Advanced and uncheck the top two options.

What is the boot:0 error I am receiving?

It means you have a 4K sector drive. You need to follow this guide to fix that: viewtopic.php?p=238187#p238187

How can I update from a previous version of the installer?

Simply download the latest one, and reselect the options which apply to you.

I just screwed up something... how can I try to get back in since it won't boot?

You can try to use rBoot-LE or Unibeast to boot in.

I have no USB keyboard. Is there another option?

If you can't get a keyboard, then you may boot after your install with -s. Follow the two commands listed, and then type nano /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist and edit out(you will have to scroll down) :
<string>DeviceSection</string>
<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

Then hit fn + o, enter, and fn + x. Then hit exit.

What BIOS settings do I need to have?

-Basically, set everything to default.
-If you have the other card other then the hd 3000, disable it in BIOS.
-Make sure you have the Hard Drive in AHCI mode.

I have graphics glitches. What can I do for those?

If you have graphics glitches, open Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions, as well as install and run kext utility from the pack. This should help. Please be aware we have a card which is new for apple. They have not perfected their drivers for it. Future updates will probably fix them.

My laptop has the problem if I restart Lion, it always boots into PXE Network Boot. How do I get into Lion?

Enter BIOS
System Configuration/Built-In Device Options

Make sure "Wake on LAN" is set to Disabled or at least Follow Boot Order

(Answered by BigDonkey)

What is the battery life on OS X?

The battery life comes in at around 3 hours or so.

Please note this is a work in progress. Let me know if there are any to add.

Merry Christmas to all!

EDIT: With the exception of going and adding links to appropriate places, I am done I think.

Merry Christmas blueking and everyone else supporting the HP 4530s movement! This may not be the appropriate forum for this but I have noticed that it has been stated that HDMI mirroring is not available at this time. I don't know if I have a misunderstanding of "Mirroring" but I am able to mirror the output from my 4530s through HDMI to my TV. :beachball: I am running 10.7.2 on my dual boot OSX/7 with no additional added features to my standard 4530s system.

Mirroring is where the TV and laptop screens have identical displays, is that what you have?

If so, what pack or version of installer are you on?

I did a fresh install with 3.0.4 and a current bios of f9 - followed your instructions step by step. I have prior experience with my dell mini and my i5 Desktop Hackintosh installs, all dual boot systems. A lot of thread reading and trial and error and everything comes together! By far your guide had to be the easiest install. Looking forward to working out the kinks.

blueking said:
My screen is black when I boot on battery, how do I fix that?

Well, you can turn it up by hitting fn and f3. However, on boot, if you hit esc, and then when in the menu there turn it up with fn and f3, and then save it, it will permanently eliminate this problem.

I might edit this part a bit to include giong into the BIOS on battery and turning up the brightness, and then saving bios settings.

FWIW

sbkingz said:
I did a fresh install with 3.0.4 and a current bios of f9 - followed your instructions step by step. I have prior experience with my dell mini and my i5 Desktop Hackintosh installs, all dual boot systems. A lot of thread reading and trial and error and everything comes together! By far your guide had to be the easiest install. Looking forward to working out the kinks.

Interesting. My machine is 4230s running exactly the same as sbkingz, 10.7.2, dual boot, installer v.3.0.4. Only the bios is in F.0A. Would this be the key to get mirroring work?

I tried to find F.09 for my model but couldn't find it.

I have F0a as well and it does not. While theoretically this is possible, I would doubt it.

Thanks lipo.

I was a big hit mirroring "dub step christmas house" from youtube from my 4530s onto my TV, at first though by default it was set to EXTENDED, which was very difficult to control, probably because I am not familiar with it. So, I went to System Preferences and under Hardware-Displays I was able to check box Mirroring under the Arrangement Tab. There are 3 tabs Display-Arrangement-Color. By default it was mirroring 1600x900, and I was also able to select 1080p. To confirm this, I am actually mirroring now to write this up and retrace my steps. Audio also works through the HDMI.

Correct my if I am wrong, but should mirroring not limit the resolution to the laptop screen size?

Since we can't use 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back