Contribute
Register

FAQ for Mountain Lion on HP Probook

Mine works. But my laptop is only USB2. Can someone with USB3 confirm that LHS USB ports not working? Maybe it works if you plug in a USB2 device. USB3 is a known sore spot because Intel hasn't provided native USB3 support until Ivy...

For the lhs usb3 port

The iphone is a usb2 connecion/device.it won't talk

- can plug in a usb2 kb/mouse, am using an apple keyboard connected to the lhs usb3 as i type this reply

- and also, just plugged in a usb2 64gb flash drive, and its working.

hope this helps

* HP PROBOOK 4X30S + 10.8.X + RAM UPGRADE 16GB

maybe you can include this in the another subsection of your sticky for probook 4x30s
- I read somewhere on tonymac in the legacy sections some 4x30s users upgraded their system to 16gb ram, and it works fine with ml 10.8.x, it could be 10.7. havent seen any related issues from those same posters.

- looks like overstock of global dram and forcing prices down, so producers are cutting production. this might mean higher dram prices, better get in quick b4 they pump up the dram prices in xmas season.

I hope the ssd prices come down further towards xmas time, would be nice to have a 256gb ssd @ about close to the $100 usd range, running in my probook.

Mine works. But my laptop is only USB2. Can someone with USB3 confirm that LHS USB ports not working? Maybe it works if you plug in a USB2 device. USB3 is a known sore spot because Intel hasn't provided native USB3 support until Ivy...
it works

RehabMan, I know you said you are running an SSD as your boot drive. I am also, however I cant seem to get proper operating temperature of the SSD. Is your reported temperature of your SSD working?

My secondary magnetic HDD in the DVD drive caddy is reporting proper temperatures though.

RehabMan, I know you said you are running an SSD as your boot drive. I am also, however I cant seem to get proper operating temperature of the SSD. Is your reported temperature of your SSD working?

My secondary magnetic HDD in the DVD drive caddy is reporting proper temperatures though.

Mine is a Crucial M4 256GB. I don't see temps reported in HWMonitor and I don't see temp reported under Windows with something like Crystal Disk Info. So it could be that this one doesn't report temperature at all. I think this is somewhat common with SSDs...

Hi Everyone,

In reference to a thread: Only the first four levels of my brightness work. How can I enable the rest?

I made a small application that turns off the display and then turns on.
We can run the application ourselves or add it to the startup list - this is convenient because we can forget about "hot corner" and other methods,
Good alternative.

App in attachment.

Regards,
Kamil

Attachments

• blinkscreen.app.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 225
I want to confirm something stated by rehabman in the original thread regarding wi-fi and the atheros 9285. Do not bother getting one new or used (probably all used) on ebay or amazon. Get it from HP, their price is $22.95, US parts only.

I've installed a card, replaced it back with the original card and ordered one from HP. A lot of unnecessary work and troubleshooting because one didn't listen to the expert.

If your considering this move, don't do what I did, well do what I finally did. It'll save you a lot of time and grief.

I want to confirm something stated by rehabman in the original thread regarding wi-fi and the atheros 9285. Do not bother getting one new or used (probably all used) on ebay or amazon. Get it from HP, their price is $22.95, US parts only.

I've installed a card, replaced it back with the original card and ordered one from HP. A lot of unnecessary work and troubleshooting because one didn't listen to the expert.

If your considering this move, don't do what I did, well do what I finally did. It'll save you a lot of time and grief.

thanks , do you have the link to the specific hp site?

I haven't quite tried Mountain Lion yet on my laptop, because it is an HP Probook 4540s, and you haven't mentioned that this model is compatible. I can't quite differentiate between the 4530s and 4540s. My 4540s has Ivy Bridge. If I buy Mountain Lion, and install it on a USB through Unibeast, is it sure to work?

Back