GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

Been away for a while.

My system has been stable for a few years now with zero problems and is still quite fast for it's age. I have not updated past OS X 10.11.6 EL Capitan (scared to).

Just lately my system fans (3) have been ramping up in speed as if the case is getting hot inside then slowing down again. I have opened the case (which I do every 6 months or so) and blow away all of the dust with an 'air duster' so that the case (and ALL of the components) is totally dust free but the fans still spin up on a regular basis.

Can anyone tell me of any temperature and fan control software that works with Hackintosh systems please.

Also how easy (and safe) would it be to upgrade beyond v10.11.6?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You can obtain HWmonitorSMC application and the associated sensor kexts from this GitHub page - https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/HWMonitorSMC2. This will provide all sorts of monitoring data, as shown in the attached screenshot.

If you have a solid working system, with your USB ports configured to work within the 15 port limit, either via an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext you could safely and easily upgrade to macOS High Sierra with your system. With no need to go looking for any Raise USB port limit patches.

Your Nvidia GTX 960 dGPU lost support with the release of macOS Mojave, as Nvidia stopped providing the NVIDIA Web Drivers. So unless you want to jump ship to the Red Team (AMD) and purchase a new discrete GPU that is compatible with newer versions of macOS, your whole/current system will not work beyond High Sierra 10.13.6.

You could upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or even Big Sur but you would need to disable the Nvidia card and just rely on the HD4600 IGPU for graphics.

Depending on which SMBIOS you are currently using, should be iMac 15,1 with your Haswell CPU, you may need to change some aspects of your config.plist.

I am assuming you are using Clover to boot your system.

There are plenty of guides around this site that show how to upgrade to one of the newer versions of macOS. Here is a link to a guide for upgrading directly to High Sierra - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

Here is a link to enable you to download the macOS High Sierra or other older macOS installation applications - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

I have a few Haswell systems, running Catalina and Big Sur so it is definitely worth thinking about.

If you want to post a copy of your CLOVER folder I will have a look to see if there is anything that needs tweaking before you upgrade your system. You can and should redact your Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID, MLB and ROM codes if you choose to post a copy of your Clover folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 23.40.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 23.40.16.png
    735.7 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back