Contribute
Register

Fan speed control on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a question, in my asus discrete nvidia is disabled in ssdt patch, the card is broken (in WInows in games ^)) and now the fans are always running at full power, with these patches i can reduce the speed of the fans and whether i can cheat the GPU temperature sensor for the EC, for example, set a constant GPU temperature to bypass the emergency operation of the fans?

Hi, I have a question, in my asus discrete nvidia is disabled in ssdt patch, the card is broken (in WInows in games ^)) and now the fans are always running at full power, with these patches i can reduce the speed of the fans and whether i can cheat the GPU temperature sensor for the EC, for example, set a constant GPU temperature to bypass the emergency operation of the fans?

Yes, you can do this.
But are you sure that nvidia fan is working at all? I also have disabled nvidia card on my Asus and it's fan is always off.

Yes, you can do this.
But are you sure that nvidia fan is working at all? I also have disabled nvidia card on my Asus and it's fan is always off.
card is brocken, i removed it from pcie

I need help.
My fan does not work correctly because the discrette Nvidia is removed, FAN always run in 100% speed, when I try to lower speed, it immediately comes back.
Second GPU Fan is disabled to.
For testing i added a method to
Method (_QD4, 0, NotSerialized) // _Qxx: EC Query
{
\rmdt.p1("EC _QD4 enter")

If (LEqual (F8FG, One))
{
Store (Zero, F8FG)
STB2 (0xE0)
STB2 (0xDB)
\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ST83 (One)
\_SB.QFAN=60
\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ST98 (QFAN)
Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.TSTP)

}
FAN speed down buti mmediately comes back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 13.27.19.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 13.27.19.JPEG
    88 KB · Views: 199
  • debug_5748.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 81
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Your USB is not configured correctly. See FAQ for guides:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

You should check Activity Monitor to see if any processes are using CPU resources when you don't expect.
I moved all my kexts into L/E

I followed the guide for configuring USB and it should be correct now. (should I disable the fingerprint reader by commenting out that port?)

I don't see anything unusual in the Activity Monitor. Fan is still loud. I realized I still have some sort of issue with sleep. Screen turns off and on with lid close/open but it doesn't always go to sleep or stay asleep. Fan stays on or comes back on sometimes. Going to search/look at other threads to troubleshoot that too.

Attaching problem reporting files.

Attachments

• debug_12355.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I moved all my kexts into L/E

I followed the guide for configuring USB and it should be correct now. (should I disable the fingerprint reader by commenting out that port?)

I don't see anything unusual in the Activity Monitor. Fan is still loud. I realized I still have some sort of issue with sleep. Screen turns off and on with lid close/open but it doesn't always go to sleep or stay asleep. Fan stays on or comes back on sometimes. Going to search/look at other threads to troubleshoot that too.

Attaching problem reporting files.

USB configuration still looks wrong. You have 3x HSxx with UsbConnector=3, but only 2x SSxx with UsbConnector=3.

Make sure you select "All processes" when using Activity Monitor (it is not default).

USB configuration still looks wrong. You have 3x HSxx with UsbConnector=3, but only 2x SSxx with UsbConnector=3.

Make sure you select "All processes" when using Activity Monitor (it is not default).

I'll double check the USB. One of the HS ports is a USB C port. I only have a phone that uses USB C so I couldn't test with multiple devices. When I plugged in the phone it came up on the HS port. The other two HS ports are regular USB 3 ports so they match the SS ones. I'll look at the activity monitor again when I get home this evening.

I'll double check the USB. One of the HS ports is a USB C port.

It means even more may be wrong.
USB type-C uses UsbConnector=9 or UsbConnector=10 and may use 1x or 2x SSxx ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back