CPU
i7-7700K - 5Ghz
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Nitro+ Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 runs fine in 10.13.6 and 10.4.0.
Nothing except Whatervergreen installed because without I get a black screen.

The fan is off until the card is used, under load the fan(s) go up and down according to the temperature, no problem noise is rather low. The fan speed vary between 1100 and 1500 rmp.

But once the cards is idle (Luxmark or other finished) the fan immediately spins up to 1500/1600 rpm and it takes minutes to stop again, even when the temperature is lower then 25°c.
When I play a movie in VLC, for a few seconds the fan stops almost immediately again.

I have read many topics about fan problems with the vega x4 but never about this, fans spinning up once the card is idle.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it?

QuickTime Player open with a movie on pause fixes the issue.
Fan drops back to 0 every time.
For now, a script at startup to open QuickTime Player with movie and hide it will do. It doesn't use any resources cpu time is zero when hidden and on pause.

QuickTime Player open with a movie on pause fixes the issue.
Fan drops back to 0 every time.
For now, a script at startup to open QuickTime Player with movie and hide it will do. It doesn't use any resources cpu time is zero when hidden and on pause.

Is there a script that will open Quicktime Player with a movie and hide it?

Here is my script, just modify the complete path name to point to your mp4 movie file.
Save the script as a program, place it in login items of your user.
You need to give permission to control your computer.

Attachments

• StartAndHideQuicktime.scpt.zip
    2 KB · Views: 102
Here is my script, just modify the complete path name to point to your mp4 movie file.
Save the script as a program, place it in login items of your user.
You need to give permission to control your computer.

Major thanks!

Hello I got a fan problem too, but not the same.I got the vega 64 nitro + (11275-03-40G), the one with olny 2 power connecter.
I got a wrong temp reading for the card, it's a fixe value : 127°C. So fan are alwas on, but not at full speed I think.
I am on 10.13.6, and I tried with or without lilu + whatevergreen, nothing change.
I also tried the quicktime player thing, with no hope, and it don't work :/
Someone already encounter that?

Last edited:
That looks exactly the same like my card.
I done't have that problem, it is running smooth except for the need of QuitTime Player in the background but that doesn't bother me at all.
What type are you using, my system is 18,3.
I have zero ("hacintosh")kext in the system folders, in EFI (yes, only in EFI and my system runs extremely smooth):

WhateverGreen >> need this one otherwise black screen.

AppleALC
CodecCommander
Lilu >> needed for other Kext-files
Need the two first ones for sound and sound after sleep

Further:
IntelMausiEthernet
USBInjectAll (with a custom SSDT)
XHCI-unsupported (not sure if I really need this one)

Make sure that you have the most recent versions.

I am using the same 18.3 smbios, I also tried the imacpro 1.1 smbios, no change there too.
Same as you, all kext are in my EFI/other folder.
I don't need Lilu or whatevergreen, nothing change with or without them, but I got the most recent version.

Currently have nitro+ rx580 and it runs flawlessly natively in high Sierra but I’m wanting to upgrade to nitro+ Vega 64 card or a 1080ti. Just like y’all I just want to be able to plug it in and go so which one of these cards is the easiest to get running perfect?

Currently have nitro+ rx580 and it runs flawlessly natively in high Sierra but I’m wanting to upgrade to nitro+ Vega 64 card or a 1080ti. Just like y’all I just want to be able to plug it in and go so which one of these cards is the easiest to get running perfect?
1080ti is not an option if you want to go Mojave, there are still no drivers and I have a feeling that it might never happen....
I'm still hoping one day they release them and then I will put my 1080 ti back in my Hacintosh. It is a far better card then this Vega 64. Not for everyone so, depends on the use. I don't do video editing.
Vega 64 is giving me some issues when I connect my 4k monitor with DP, scrolling stutters then very often. Not always but it is very annoying. Doesn't happen with HDMI.
The fan problem is solved now, there is a good guide on how to include the VGTAb in config.plis. just can't find it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back