CPU
i7-8850H/C240
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1050Ti, 3840x2160
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Basically have my ThinkPad X1 Extreme Hackintosh where I want it for my needs.

Really only have two things outstanding that I'd like to address:

1. Fan noise. Disabling the dedicated GPU for macOS did help quite a bit it seems. Definitely hear it revving up less frequently and the fan noise is quieter overall. Still it does occasionally rev up for like 30 seconds when it comes to opening a couple Chrome tabs, opening the DSDT.dsl for editing, or (right now) it is operating pretty loudly downloading Toontrack Superior Drummer libraries. What else can I do to keep the fan noise down?
  2. I couldn't get external monitors to be recognized through either TB3, HDMI, or both. Tried with the devices plugged in at boot and plugging/unplugging after boot. The Display > Arrangement tab never appears. Any suggestions on resolving this?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• debug_8870.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 45
I think your laptop has display outputs wired to Nvidia so hdmi will not work without nvidia. just to make sure if true.
boot into Windows and disable Nvidia card and check if any of the dispaly ports work.
I have the same situation all the outputs are wired to Nvidia not Intel .

I think your laptop has display outputs wired to Nvidia so hdmi will not work without nvidia. just to make sure if true.
boot into Windows and disable Nvidia card and check if any of the dispaly ports work.
I have the same situation all the outputs are wired to Nvidia not Intel .

Yep, looks like you are correct: went into Windows, mult-monitor worked fine, disabled the GTX 1050 and quit working.

What a bummer. I know there aren't drivers for this card for 10.14.4, and even went as far as making sure it was disabled in macOS to try and reduce fan noise.

Any other possible work around or just a physical limitation?

Seems like my only option is to wait and hope Nvidia releases a Mojave driver.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like you are correct: went into Windows, mult-monitor worked fine, disabled the GTX 1050 and quit working.

What a bummer. I know there aren't drivers for this card for 10.14.4, and even went as far as making sure it was disabled in macOS to try and reduce fan noise.

Any other possible work around or just a physical limitation?

Seems like my only option is to wait and hope Nvidia releases a Mojave driver.
you could try High Sierra . it has Nvidia web driver.
I don't know if there is any solution for Mojave without the release of Nvidia driver.
it sucks when you can't work with dual or triple monitors.

according to this link it works on High Sierra and will on Mojave if there will ever be a driver .

Regarding fan noise, is this guide still good for Coffee Lake CPUs?

you could try High Sierra . it has Nvidia web driver.
I don't know if there is any solution for Mojave without the release of Nvidia driver.
it sucks when you can't work with dual or triple monitors.

Just curious if there is a guide on how to downgrade to High Sierra. The laptop I borrowed to make the bootable USB only had Mojave on it, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't an option I could see to downgrade it to HS.

Just curious if there is a guide on how to downgrade to High Sierra. The laptop I borrowed to make the bootable USB only had Mojave on it, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't an option I could see to downgrade it to HS.
make a back up of your current system
then go to Appstore and download Macos HighSierra and check the installation guide on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back