Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus STRIX Z370-F
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Hello guys,
I recently managed to install High Sierra successfully (not Mojave because of missing Nvidia Web drivers) and now noticed, that my Fan in the back of the case connected to the CHA_FAN2 header on the board. Pls help :D (I'm kind of a noob in hackintoshing)

Thanks in advance

Ok, I found out that it doesn't spin because it's in DC mode in the BIOS and apparently it doesn't support that. But if I put it in PWN mode, it spins full throttle all the time because it's only a 3 pin Fan, not 4 pin...any solution to this?

Hi there.

Hopefully there is a BIOS option - SmartFan or something similar - most 370 chipset BIOSes do. You often have to manually select which fan header to control from a drop-down menu.

Set to "Silent" and that should do the trick. Generally a case fan doesn't need to be full-speed :thumbup:

Unfortunately there isn't such an option, I can only decide between DC and PWN modes. DC mode is the normal option I should use because the Fan has only 3 pins, but in that mode it stays off while booted in Mac OS, while in PWN mode it works but always at max speed without control.

Unfortunately there isn't such an option, I can only decide between DC and PWN modes. DC mode is the normal option I should use because the Fan has only 3 pins, but in that mode it stays off while booted in Mac OS, while in PWN mode it works but always at max speed without control.

Check Chapter 3 (around 3-7) of your motherboard manual. It shows how to set the Fan speed - "Q-Fan Control" and lists the fan headers. :thumbup:

(DC mode is a simple voltage output, altered up or down, PWM is Pulse Width Modulation and used to adjust speeds by pulsing the electricity instead).

Probably best to be in Advanced menu mode rather than EZ Mode.

:)

I think you don't understand what i mean :D

A fan can have a 3 or 4 pin header: if it has 4 pins, the 4th is for the PWN mode control. If it only has 3, it doesn't support PWN mode and will run at full speed all the time if you choose that option.

Now all my Chassis fans are corsair 3 pin fans, that only support DC mode to have variable speeds depending on temperatures. If i choose PWN mode, they all run at max speed.

The strange thing is, that all my fans are in DC mode as they should be, but only one doesn't work in OS X...If the OS didn't support DC mode, none of my fans would work, but only the one connected to CHA_FAN2 doesn't spin. It has to be something i can change within the OS to make it work, or maybe in clover...
(but thx for your help, i really appreciate it :))

Does somebody have an idea? :(

welp...I guess I just leave it off then :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back