1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All

[Clover 5151, from memory. Sierra. Z170, i5-6600.]

This is a question about my being unable to access my MacOS partition after installing Windows, please.

[I tend towards verbose, so I shall tell the story as I understand it, without qualifying everything.]

In my 5-ish -year-old Hackintosh, some of my HDDs have started dying. [This correlates with them not being used much -- e.g. backups.]

My first step was to install Windows 7 on a new, separate HDD first [it is easier, on its own drive] (after trying to install it over the top of the broken instance).

I have 6 HDD's. What I *should* have done is unplugged the HDD's except the new one. What actually happened is that -- since Microsoft can not handle having 6 HDD's -- it threw an error 0xC0000005 on each installation attempt... and in each case created another additional boot-related partition *on another drive*. (I leave gaps between partitions; I deleted the extra partitions and I think that turned out okay.)

I have now finished ["successfully"] installing Windows 7 [on its own drive].

That is... none of this (obviously/apparently) represents a reason to worry about, particularly, my MacOS drive. (Offhand... * I did try to install Windows in situ, and * Linux fixed itself -- all on the same drive; that could be relevant.)

Now... I have a sound MacOS partition -- or at least I have no concrete reason to suspect it -- and a sound EFI partition before it -- it seems.

Actually, I believe that I had to put in again the file "HFSPlus.EFI"... although conversely it might well have had "VBoxHFS-64.EFI", which I had forgotten existed. Currently I have the latter "disabled" in another folder, and HFSPlus.EFI. [I just tried swapping to "VBoxHFS-64.EFI"; no difference.]

The situation is now as follows.

When I boot, I choose Clover, and it shows a long list of Microsoft possibilities -- even longer than before, I think -- and a/some Linux one(s)... with (particularly) no HFS+ entries. [Actually, there are two instances of Clover to choose from (after some previous problem), but the other one is at least no better.]

I have learned how to go into the shell and launch the HFSPlus.EFI or VBoxHFS-64.EFI driver. That now lists also the MacOS alternatives. However, when I select my MacOS partition and launch it, it shows the first list of "++++...+++" and then hangs. (My MoBo {current action code} is 61, for what that is worth.)

* Is my MacOS partition somehow compromised? If so, in what way, particularly?
* How do I see what is wrong with Clover (or fix it without knowing that)?
* What gives with this HFS+ problem?

...please?

Hi All

[Clover 5151, from memory. Sierra. Z170, i5-6600.]

This is a question about my being unable to access my MacOS partition after installing Windows, please.

[I tend towards verbose, so I shall tell the story as I understand it, without qualifying everything.]

In my 5-ish -year-old Hackintosh, some of my HDDs have started dying. [This correlates with them not being used much -- e.g. backups.]

My first step was to install Windows 7 on a new, separate HDD first [it is easier, on its own drive] (after trying to install it over the top of the broken instance).

I have 6 HDD's. What I *should* have done is unplugged the HDD's except the new one. What actually happened is that -- since Microsoft can not handle having 6 HDD's -- it threw an error 0xC0000005 on each installation attempt... and in each case created another additional boot-related partition *on another drive*. (I leave gaps between partitions; I deleted the extra partitions and I think that turned out okay.)

I have now finished ["successfully"] installing Windows 7 [on its own drive].

That is... none of this (obviously/apparently) represents a reason to worry about, particularly, my MacOS drive. (Offhand... * I did try to install Windows in situ, and * Linux fixed itself -- all on the same drive; that could be relevant.)

Now... I have a sound MacOS partition -- or at least I have no concrete reason to suspect it -- and a sound EFI partition before it -- it seems.

Actually, I believe that I had to put in again the file "HFSPlus.EFI"... although conversely it might well have had "VBoxHFS-64.EFI", which I had forgotten existed. Currently I have the latter "disabled" in another folder, and HFSPlus.EFI. [I just tried swapping to "VBoxHFS-64.EFI"; no difference.]

The situation is now as follows.

When I boot, I choose Clover, and it shows a long list of Microsoft possibilities -- even longer than before, I think -- and a/some Linux one(s)... with (particularly) no HFS+ entries. [Actually, there are two instances of Clover to choose from (after some previous problem), but the other one is at least no better.]

I have learned how to go into the shell and launch the HFSPlus.EFI or VBoxHFS-64.EFI driver. That now lists also the MacOS alternatives. However, when I select my MacOS partition and launch it, it shows the first list of "++++...+++" and then hangs. (My MoBo {current action code} is 61, for what that is worth.)

* Is my MacOS partition somehow compromised? If so, in what way, particularly?
* How do I see what is wrong with Clover (or fix it without knowing that)?
* What gives with this HFS+ problem?

...please?

Hello.

That's rather a complex set-up to trouble-shoot, however ...

Usually the long line of "++++++++++" usually points to an Aptio Memory driver issue, but if you are using Clover v5150 - which is the very latest - then it is based on OpenCore foundations and means that the memory fix issue is usually taken care of.

If you upgraded from a version of Clover prior to v5124, then you will perhaps still have the older file-set installed.

Also your comment about more than one version of Clover - "there are two instances of Clover to choose from" - sounds alarm-bells as there should only ever be one boot-loader on a system.

You need to check the hidden EFI partition on any of your other drives, if there are any.

May be ZIP and upload your EFI folder so we can check it.

Most of the Windows options are not real (i.e. bootable). I am wondering how to get rid of them.
"Boot windows from...
"... Legacy HD4",
8 of "... EFI"
2 of "... Legacy HD3",
"... Legacy HD5",
"... Legacy HD14".
...All without icons. There are (also) 3 real ones -- Linux [EFI], Windows [an EFI I actually made] & Windows ["EFI Boot from EFI"].

...Now that you mention it, I am not sure that I recognise the number 5150. (It is v5150.) ...Anyway.

I have just deleted all of the extra EFI partitions; trying that... .

p.s. EFI.zip attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 59
Most of the Windows options are not real (i.e. bootable). I am wondering how to get rid of them.
"Boot windows from...
"... Legacy HD4",
8 of "... EFI"
2 of "... Legacy HD3",
"... Legacy HD5",
"... Legacy HD14".
...All without icons. There are (also) 3 real ones -- Linux [EFI], Windows [an EFI I actually made] & Windows ["EFI Boot from EFI"].

...Now that you mention it, I am not sure that I recognise the number 5150. (It is v5150.) ...Anyway.

I have just deleted all of the extra EFI partitions; trying that... .

p.s. EFI.zip attached.
clover has a hide function in your config.plist:

Code:
<key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Hide</key>
        <array>
            <string>Windows</string>
            <string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
        </array>
you can add in the entries you want to hide, some users would use clover configurator as it can be easier

... Same.

Means nothing useful, sorry.

---

However, still trying to help...

All the Drivers your system needs are currently still in the old location of drivers64UEFI, whereas for the latest Clover version they need to be in drivers/UEFI.

Also, from what I said before, the Aptio Memory fix you are using (when in the correct location) is now outdated - OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi - so perhaps change to - AptioMemoryFix.efi.

Last edited:
I suspect that possibly the partition content is corrupt. (I ran a "check" in GParted and it seems to say/mean that it does not start at the beginning, nor finish at the end. (Not that this qualifies as a deduction nor inference, but... that seems to be consistent with what Microsoft was doing.)) Can I just copy out the files, reformat it as fat32, and copy them back in (if I note the "Name", "Label" and "Flags")? Can I just delete the "Temp" folder? ...please?

Thanks everyone who is helping, by the way.

Means nothing useful, sorry.

By "Same" I meant that deleting all the extra EFI partitions made no difference. Sorry about the ambiguity.

I have copied out the files in the EFI partition, reformatted it, and copied them back in.

Usually the long line of "++++++++++" usually points to an Aptio Memory driver issue
I have replaced this file; thanks for that.

In the shell, I have asked it to load all of the drivers in "Drivers64UEFI". This reported an error for "AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi" -- "... error in start image: Device Error". I have replaced the file, and it still says the same thing. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back