Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext is a new FakeSMC sensor plugin which uses System Management Mode to obtain sensor information.

The idea is derived from the dell-smm-hwmon driver in Linux, it allows reading fan settings, speeds and temperature sensor values.
Additionally it could be used to control fan speeds in the system as well (though currently not implemented in usermode).

For those wanting to try it on Dell based systems, the code can be found here:
https://github.com/the-darkvoid/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek/tree/smm-sensors

Ideally this should be working on most Dell laptops as well as desktops for monitoring purposes with the included HWMonitor application.

@RehabMan,
Not sure if this post is in the right forum category, desktop doesn't have a category matching either.
Feel free to move it.

Hi @the-darkvoid
I know this is off-topic, but I can't find any other way to contact you.

I have seen your pull request to VoodooPS2Controller, and I want my kext to be able to receive notification from it.
So I built VoodooPS2Controller from your repo, and it worked well with VoodooI2C.
However, I can't make it work it my kext.
I have add "RM,deliverNotifications" to info.plist, but I can't get messages from VoodooPS2Controller.
Here is link to the kext: https://github.com/hieplpvip/AsusFnKeys

Thank you!

There are log entries from VoodooPS2Controller when it finds a matching service to send notifications to.
Are you getting those?

del

Last edited:
Hello @the-darkvoid!

Thank you so much for developing this kext, as now we are one step closer to getting fan support / fan control for these Dell laptops with pesky SMM fan controllers.

I have recently acquired the Dell XPS 15 7590, and I have installed the latest build of RehabMan's FakeSMC along with the FakeSMC_SMMSensors plugin. When I rebooted the two fans did not show up in HWMonitor, so I started digging around a little bit within the plugin and found that there is a configuration section within the plugin's Info.plist.

I am wondering how to configure the plugin to recognize the two fans that are in the Dell XPS 15. There is mention of 'SMM fan index "0"' in the kernel logs, and I think the root of my issue here is that these indexes are not properly set for my configuration. I have attempted to model my config from the included Dell XPS 13 9360, but I am at a bit of a loss for now ...

If you would point me in the direction of documentation for how to configure this plugin that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back