I5 6600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GT 1030
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there. I'm new to this whole idea of building a FakeMac, and I'm looking for some advice. Help is much appreciated. I'm currently running a 2012 MBP, and prefer the MacOS over the other options. It's hard to justify the price on a Mac Mini for my home computer/HTPC needs. So...

I'm looking to build a unit that will dual boot and serve multiple functions. I would like a FakeMac to serve as a home computer, for email, web access, and some basic word processing and spreadsheets. Just average internet use, streaming and watching stored video, no gaming. This is for my family, and the desktop will particularly be for my kids, while my wife and I will use the HTPC side more.

I might like to try a second boot drive in the box that can run Linux for my HTPC use. Ultimately I believe I can run the HTPC stuff from the Mac if it isn't possible to do the dual boot thing, I just think it would be fun to be able to use both OS, especially if the Mac side acts up at all. I'm planning on using a Streacom F7C Alpha case. I'd like to use an optical drive, preferably something that will be able to receive BluRay discs. Burning BluRay would be cool but not necessary. From what I gather, the best Mobo these days is the GA-H170N-Wifi. If I can get the wifi to work, that's great, but I'll largely be using an ethernet connection for internet. I figure I'll get 8GB of Ram in one stick, because if I need to add more I can add another stick later.

What I'm a little more unsure of is what processor to get, and if I need to get a Graphics Card. I'd like 4K video for the HTPC side of things, but even just standard 1080p will likely be more than enough. Can the Gigabyte Mobo handle 4K output on it's HDMI output? I'd honestly love to save money by not getting an additional Graphics Card. Does the Processor make a big impact on video quality and resolution? What's the best bang for buck Processor I can get for the sort of use that I'm planning to use?

I'd like to run the Mac OS from an M.2 drive. I would like to use a 2.5 SSD for the linux boot drive, and I plan to use an internal 3.5" HDD for storage, and additional external drives if necessary. Is that going to work?

Thanks for any help offered. I'm in Canada, so finding parts can often take a little effort and costs a little more, but I'm willing to do the research and take this slow.

Jacob

If you want 4k output from onboard graphics it's best to choose a motherboard with DP 1.2 or higher output. There is a new mATX board from Gigabyte H270M-DS3H that has that output.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128979&cm_re=H270m-ds3H-_-13-128-979-_-Product This would be my first choice for an HTPC build right now. Pair it with a non "K" I3 or I5 and you've got a nice affordable HTPC/Mac for general use without spending a lot of money. The Canadian dollar is relatively weak right now. Something like the I3-7100 is the best budget choice for an HTPC. Very fast and has HD630 graphics for 4K output.
gigabyte-ga-h270m-ds3h-.jpg
Rear I/O panel of H270M-DS3H.

There are a number of good mATX HTPC cases you can build in. Look at some by Lian Li, Silverstone and other companies that will fit well into a home theater setup. You can also install a Blu-Ray drive internally in many of these.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HTPC+case+mATX&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Some of these larger cases leave options for full size discrete graphics cards (dual slot) if you ever choose that route. You also won't be limited to lower power nano PSUs that are also quite expensive for the small amount of power you'll get.

If you need a smaller mini-ITX board then look for one with DP output in the Buyer's Guide. Once Kaby Lake is supported by Apple there will be more mini-ITX choices that have DP onboard in that guide. macOS Sierra does not support HDMI 2.0/4K/60Hz very well. DP is preferred if you want 4K. If 1080 is all you need then you can use the older HDMI 1.4. without many problems.

Here's a mini-ITX board with DP output that would work: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132641&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-tonymacx86 LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID=
The downside is that you pay almost 80 dollars more than a H270M-DS3H and have fewer options for expansion in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice.

I've considered going with an mATX case. I have an ATX Case as an HTPC right now, the discontinued Antec Fusion, and my wife has told me if we're replacing it, the case has to get smaller. I presented some options I liked, and we chose the Streacom box. It's an mITX box, so that's the route we're going to go.

Are there any highly recommended mITX motherboard/CPU combos that have great bang for buck? As mentioned, the 4K thing isn't super necessary, but as I'm adding up the price, the motherboard and CPU combo seems to be the place where the most money seems to be needed. I'm willing to spend if it's necessary, but it's hard wading through the giant list on the site. I'm learning, but a lot of the specs on the parts have take time to translate.

Jacob

When it comes to recommendations I believe its basically on the users needs. If all your going to do is use it for basic needs then an i3 should do find and since you mentioned 4K isn't a big thing then stick with the Gigabyte H170N. According to the website it has 4096x2160 resolution at 24 Hz thru HDMI. If you want 4K at 60Hz then go with the one that trs96 recommended. It has that thru DisplayPort. If your not in a hurry then wait for Kaby Lake support.

If you want WiFi there are several options you can go. You can get one and put on expansion slot on the motherboard as long as it has a low profile bracket or you can replace the M.2 WiFi card on the mobo.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what part I need to be looking for when it comes to the M.2 Wifi card. I know it needs to be replaced, I'm just not sure what card I'm looking for.

The more I think about it, I think the more sure I am that the 4K resolution is not something I need right now. If for some reason down the road I would like it, hopefully I'll be able to find a Graphics card I can install in the PCI slot.

Forgive me, but what is the Kaby Lake Support, and what will that mean when it arrives? How long would I be waiting if I were to do so?

Jacob

When it comes the M.2 card it does need to be replaced to get WiFi and BT on it. I have used 2 cards, the BCM94352Z and the BCM94360CS2 cards. The difference between each is that the 52Z requires kexts and patch to work properly and the CS2 required an m.2 adapter but will work natively. I would recommend the CS2 card with adapter. I found both on eBay.

Currently there are no real Macs the have a Kaby Lake chip in it. Those come out later on this year and that is what I mean by Kaby Lake support. You could be waiting a few months. There isn't that much of a leap between generations when it comes to technology so if you don't wanna wait go with Skylake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back